Logo

drjeff1

My newborn puppies are dying-please help

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: The bitch delivered 8 puppies yesterday and as of today, four of the eight have died. It appears that they are not getting enough milk from the dam. I notice the bitch is not drinking sufficient quantities of liquids and I am concerned that the remaining puppies will become too tired to continue to suck and they will likewise fail to thrive. I would appreciate any help you could provide as soon as possible.

Thank you

Sex: Female

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Rottweiler

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

You need to mix up (goats milk, egg, karo syrup/molasses) or obtain some puppy milk replacer, and a bottle immediately. If newborn puppies don’t nurse every couple of hours, they will die (as you have unfortunately already seen). They also can’t regulate their temperatures, so they must be kept in a very warm environment of at least 80 degrees. The milk replacer must also be luke warm, just like when feeding a human baby. If the pups are now too weak to even bottle feed, then they will have to be tube fed at first. Your local vet can show you how to do this if necessary.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!