Logo

drjeff1

My kitty has a bald spot!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello– and thanks in advance for your help!

I have an 11 year old indoor tabby who has never had any serious medical issues. I’ve fed him Iams for about 9 years of his life, but when his vomiting got to be too bad, I switched him to Science Diet sensitive stomach formula which seems to have helped. He has been on this food now for about a year.

My concern is that recently I went on my honeymoon and a friend took care of him but apparently didn’t brush him adequately. When I returned I briskly bushed him, and pulled out huge wads of dead fur out of him using my rubber palm fitted cat brush. (he always likes getting his back massaged with the rubber cat brush).

After brushing him, I noticed what I thought was a patch of new grey fur on the back of his neck, between his shoulder blades. When I looked a little closer I realized it was bare skin, an oval shape about the size and shape of one of those souvenir flattened pennies you get at tourist traps around the country.

It has been several weeks now and the bald spot is still there. It does not appear to be getting any bigger or smaller. It does not appear irritated or infected in any way– it’s just a patch of bright white cat skin. The cat does not scratch or lick himself any more than normal. In fact I have noticed no unusual behavior at all from the cat. He doesn’t even seem to realize that the bald patch is there.

Do you have any ideas what could be causing this? I am worried that my vigorous brushing could have been the cause of this, but if it were, I would have thought the fur would have grown back by now. How long does it take for a length of car fur to grow back?

Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!