Logo

drjeff1

My Greyhound Is Having Seizures

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: dog loosing sight has had seizures which are under control with meds. No real history on dog. Eyes were okay in May when seizures started, he did have some balance problems then but antibiotics seemed to help. Vet with rescue said he may have GME that was reason to try antibiotics.

Our vet said both irises are sluggish and the left is worse. Left also appears to have thickening of retina. What can we do to try and lessen or stop lose of sight? We hope to get MRI done at Mich. State depending on cost.

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: greyhound

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

A six year old Greyhound that has just started having seizures makes me very concerned about an underlying metabolic or neurologic cause. Idiopathic epilepsy starting at this age is certainly possible, but less likely than if he were younger when the seizures began. Primary metabolic, infectious, e.g. lyme, Babesia etc. and other primary neurologic causes need to be ruled out. Since you are talking about MRI, I presume he has already had a complete blood count, biochemical profile, bile acid tolerance test and tick serology. GME is certainly a possibility as well, and can be ruled out with a CSF tap which your vet can perform in the office.

In the meantime, I would consider seeking the opinion of a Board Certified neurologist since the vision loss is almost certainly related to the seizures. Have corticosteroids been tried? If so, what was the response? GME and other inflammatory brain disorders are *very* steroid sensitive, and if referral is not in the near future, you may want to consider a diagnostic trial once the other metabolic and infectious conditions have been ruled out. Personally, I manage these cases holistically and with homeopathic treatment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!