Logo

drjeff1

My dog was just diagnosed with lyme disease :0(

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I found out on Friday that my 5 year old shepherd has lyme. She woke up Friday morning and wasn’t herself, she was whining and was acting like she hurt her leg. As the day went on she was worse so I took her to the vet that night, she had a 104 fever and tested positive for Lyme. I am so upset and feel like it is my fault, I give her frontline and she gets the lyme vaccine so I don’t understand. She started medicine yesterday morning…anyone have any insight on this and what I can do to help her! Thanks so much!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Isaiah]any insight on this and what I can do to help her! [/quote]

Don’t fret too much about your dog’s Lyme. The antibiotics should reduce the circulating bacteria sufficiently to let her immune system resolve the acute problem.

That being said, you should be doing everything possible to foster a strong immune system. All of the chemical preventatiives in the world, e.g. Frontline or Lyme vaccination are not going to help her immune system.

Read this short handout for how to have as healthy a dog as possible:
    [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/rules.html[/url]

While she’s on the antibiotics I would advise a good Acidophilus supplement. The beneficial gut flora which are killed by antibiotics are all part of a strong immune defense, and the Acidophilus, e.g. Culturelle (buy it in your local human health food store) will help maintain it.

Good luck and please let us know how she responds to treatment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Fleas, Ticks and other Parasites’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!