Logo

drjeff1

My dog is lethargic, not eating, and covered with hives!

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems My dog is lethargic, not eating, and covered with hives!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Question: For the last 3 days Boomer has been very lethargic, not eating, with hives all over him. Last night he vomited twice. He is drinking water and will go outside. His skin has always been his weak point but he has never been sick before. His hives seem a little better today. Any suggestions? Thank you for all you do! Janet

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: lab/retreiver

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Hives are generally a skin manifestation of an allergic reaction. It sounds like he had a generalized reaction to either an environmental, or dietary allergen (or a bug bite if you are in the western or southern US). These reactions are characterized by hives, not eating, vomiting and diarrhea.

The most important thing we can do is to identify the allergen. Did he have exposure to anything unusual? Any new foods, wool carpeting, furniture, cleaning products? Anyway, I’m sure you get the idea.

Symptomatically, 25-50mg benadryl given when he manifests the hives and then again in eight hours should help. Homeopathic Apis 6, 12 or 30c may also be indicated (it is derived from bees and may manifest hive-type eruptions).

Let me know if you come up with any potential allergens.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!