Logo

drjeff1

My Dog Has Heart Failure. How Can I Help Him?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: Just diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She is on a diuretic 2xday. this seems to have helped breathing. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do to further her life with this condition.(ie:diet, meds, natural remedies). Also, do you know of any canine cardiologists in the Portland, OR. area?

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: retreiver,lab mix

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

It is important to know the inciting cause of the CHF. If it is due to mitral insuffucientcy (the most common cause of heart disease), then diuretics, vasodilators, etc. will help tremendously. If she is overweight, it is very important to start a gradual weight loss program. There are some well researched supplements that can also help along with homeopathic remedies. Things like Formula CV http:www://homevet.com/supplements-i-use?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=36&category_id=15&manufacturer_id=9, omega-3 fatty acids, Coenzynme Q-10 30mg once or twice a day is an excellent natural way to help cardiac contractility. Again, I really can’t make any other specific recommendations without knowing the etiology of the heart failure. Perhaps you can call Dr. Gary Wood who is a veterinary cardiologist in Portland. I don’t have his # handy, but I’m sure he is in the book.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!