Logo

drjeff1

My dog has had serious diarrhea with blood in it…twice?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems My dog has had serious diarrhea with blood in it…twice?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

About a month ago my half rot half lab had one horrible bout of diarrhea with blood in it. The neighbor had been feeding him some mysterious bones so we asked her to stop and the dog seemed fine. Last night he had this horrible watery, bloody, terribly stinky diarrhea again. We are plannning on taking him to the vet, but are wondering what we could be getting ourselves into. Any ideas?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=adellem] wondering what we could be getting ourselves into. Any ideas?[/quote]

Diarrhea with blood is a very non-specific sign of gastrointestinal irritation. Dietary causes and intestinal parasites are the two biggest causes.

Bring a stool sample to your vet exam tomorrow and let us know what they find. Also, post more specific data like your dog’s age and whether there are any other problems, e.g. skin/coat or allergy issues, metabolic problems, etc.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

My 2 dog’s have also had repeated episodes of bloody diarrhea. It is very watery and foul smelling. I have 2 Malamute/Retreiver cross dog’s, 8 years old. They have been on the same type of food for years and do not get any sort of table scraps whatsoever. The diarrhea happens about 3 times a year, alway’s in the spring/summer months. Our vet checked a stool sample and said results came back normal. He said it was bleeding ulcers, but I think that’s not the problem. My city spray’s herbicide/pesticide every spring/summer and I’m thinking that may be the cause. Does anyone have any more info on this topic? If so please help!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Jene]My city spray’s herbicide/pesticide every spring/summer and I’m thinking that may be the cause. ![/quote]

There is no question that environmental stressors (such as toxic chemicals) can cause problems such as your dogs are experiencing. Since there isn’t much that you can do about spraying done by the city (except staying inside when they spray), you should concentrate on strengthening your dog’s resistance.

Start by feeding the best diet possible (fresh/organic, varied). Avoid chemicals in *your* environment (flea/tick meds, pesticides, strong cleaning products). Minimize unnecessary vaccinations and drugging, e.g. antibiotics or steroid ointments for skin or ear inflammations.

Work with a veterinary homeopath to strengthen your dogs resistance to environmental stress. This will not only help with the immediate symptoms, but will also prevcent even worse problems from developing down the line. Go to [url]http://www.theavh.org/refcover.htm[/url] for a referral.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!