Logo

drjeff1

My dog gets lame after playing. Is it hip dysplasia?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems My dog gets lame after playing. Is it hip dysplasia?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: after vigorous running and retrieving, exhibits soreness and weakness in hindquarters. sometimes with pain. does this always mean dysplasia? he is large for his breed, #100(not fat). is there any home medication we can give him for pain. this problem is infrequent as he usually swims for exercise and shows no ill effects at all. it is scary when it happens though so we will now limit his running activities. thank you

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: labrador retriever

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Pain and weakness after running does not always mean dysplasia. Does he ever limp? Does he ever hold up any of his legs? Does he sometimes have a hard time getting up after resting for awhile?

Although a single Ascriptin (aspirin with Maalox) is safe and effective to give as a home remedy, I am not a big fan of chronic aspirin use in a dog this young. Excellent non-specific musculoskeletal remedies include a veterinary product called glycoflex, which contains chondroitin sulfate, an important component of joint regeneration, (it also contains alfalfa, and brewers yeast), yucca extract, omega fatty acids, and my favorites, Trixsyn (hyaluronate), glucosamine sulfate and grape seed extract (Antiox). These products can be used preventively, but higher doses can also be used in acute situations.

I strongly advise having some hip x-rays done to assess his hips, and starting constitutional homeopathic treatment with a certified veterinary homeopath. Also, a Lyme (and other tick-borne disease) titer may be useful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!