Logo

drjeff1

my cat may have a urinary problem

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: My cat, Monroe, became very sick on Christmas Eve with a high fever, 104.8. (Monroe’s history includes asthma & F.U.S.) We took him to an emergency clinic here in New York City where they hydrated him and put him on antibiotics. (He would have been admitted to their emergency hospital, but the exam & treatment we received from the vet was very disheartening.) He seemed to have adverse reactions to the oral amoxicillian — after about two hours from taking a dose, 100 mg twice daily, he’d have dry heaves and maybe throw-up a little liquid because he hadn’t eaten. He is much better now, but his appetite only really returned yesterday when, at the suggestion of another vet, I fed him tuna instead of his normal Cat Chow Special Care. She was concerned that because of his weight — 18 lbs — and not eating for so long that he would develop liver problems. Therefore, we needed to get his caloric intake back up a.s.a.p. Monroe ate about half a can yesterday and when!
    I left him this morning, he was eating the tuna with his usual vigor. He did have diarrhea last night. Is that because of the tuna fish? And does that mean he lost all the nutrients as well? How soon will we know if we have escaped liver problems? And what are some signs that we haven’t escaped any? I took Monroe’s temperature last night and it was 101.5 and he is certainly acting like he feels better — he’s purring, playful, happy to have tuna fish, etc. We are new to NYC and it is very hard to find a vet we feel comfortable with. Which is why I am seeking any advice possible. Thanks for your help!

Sex: Male Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Feline

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Has Monroe ever had signs of lower urinary tract disease before? It is somewhat unusual for a cat with *just* FLUTD (FUS) to run a fever. Personally, at this point at his age I would want to work him up with x-rays, bloodwork and urinalysis to rule out other disorders. The urinary signs may very well just be secondary to some other condition such as a pyelonephritis (kidney infection) or infiltrative urinary tract disease. As far as hepatic lipidosis, which is the liver disease to which you refer, this only occurs sporadically after a long fast. Is he a big cat that happens to weigh eighteen pounds, or is he overweight? Obese cats are predisposed to this condition, but again, it occurs only sporadically. I would be more concerned with the signs which he is showing now. You should not be giving him any dry food whatsoever at this point, and mixing additional water in with his wet food to promote diuresis. My FLUTD handout in the pet care library goes into this topic in more detail. As far as the vomiting and diarrhea is concerned, it is most likely secondary to the antibiotics. You may want to try giving them with food, or cut back to just once a day. Also, I would advise using a different flavor of wet cat food since there is some older evidence that fish can exacerbate FLUTD.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!