Logo

drjeff1

My cat is grooming herself bald!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: Our Cat (Jazz) is a little overweight (we are working on that) is constantly grooming herself to the point where her belly is completely bald , she also has small scabs along her spine starting from her tail to about halfway up to her head , we have checked and are sure the cat and house is free of fleas (she does’nt go outside),has a good quality food. She has also recieved a injection of Medrol with limited success and oatmeal based shampoos seem to help for a very short time. I would like to avoid longterm drug therapy.

Any ideas?

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Feline

Breed: Manx

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

This may be a parasitic, allergic or internal disorder. Frequently, miliary dermatitis (which I believe is the condition you are describing) is primarily allergic. If this was an inhalant or flea allergic condition, I would expect her to respond very well to an appropriate dose of steroids. Since she didn’t respond that well, consider a food allergy, or dietary imbalance. I would start her on a hypoallergenic diet like duck and potato, and add fatty acids and vitamins to her diet. EFA-Z+ provides the full complement of nutrients which her skin needs. Supplement this with one 1,000 mg fish oil capsule per day. Be sure to give this nutritional therapeutic trial at least eight weeks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!