Logo

drjeff1

Mites.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi.

I’ve been having a problem with mites now for almost a year. I have gerbils and the mites came through in a bag of shavings. Keeping more mites coming in isn’t an issue, breaking the current mite cycle is. I can keep the problem under control but I can’t get rid of it. I’ve read on a few sites about certain kinds of mites that can live weeks without a host. I’m guessing I’m dealing with something like this. [img]http://www.glbuzz.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif[/img]

I’ve been using DE and killing my own lungs with it because it’s now all over the place.

– I rub DE into the gerbils once or twice a week. There is a ton of it in their tanks mixed with their bedding. There [i]should[/i] be no way mites can survive in there.
    – The cats only ever scratch their ears and neck. So I only rub the DE into their ears, neck and chin area and spinkle some on their back which they shake off into a cloud of dust. This works. I do this once or twice a week.
    – The dog I just finally found something that is helping, Neem oil. I basically soak him with it every couple of days and defnitley have noticed an improvement. But aparently this isn’t safe for cats and gerbils. And even if it is, the cycle will start again.

These things are invisible and seem to be like “Scabies” from what I’ve read on other sites. I don’t think it’s scabies though. The rare times I’ve gotten bit I feel a pinch and can’t see them, it’s worse at night for me including the animals and they usually don’t leave marks but sometimes leave tiny red pinholes. They also mostly only attack my upper arms for some reason. Once I rubbed olive oil/water in a gerbil and then wiped her with a paper towel and some specs came off. I have never seen these specs looking through anyone’s fur or on me when I’ve gotten bit.

Anyway, once I quit using the DE and the Neem on the dog these things come back at full force. How can I get rid of this problem for good?

Today I went to HomeDepot and looked at the “foggers” for pest control. I can’t even use those because its in the basement and there’s open flames.

The only other option I seem to have is using Ivermectin on the gerbils. I know every other gerbil owner does so it’s not too much of a death sentence. I rather not and at this point I don’t even think it would work. I think once the 6 weeks are up, the cycle would still start all over again.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

I wish I could help. Anyone out there have any useful experience with this problem?

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Fleas, Ticks and other Parasites’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!