Logo

drjeff1

Missing cat returns home. How to bring him back to health?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems Missing cat returns home. How to bring him back to health?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My three year old cat, who had been missing for about a month, finally found his way home yesterday. As you can imagine, he is in pretty bad shape. He was a little heavy to begin with, now he is emaciated. He also has little patches of fur missing (not ringworm), what appears to be dandruff, and diarrhea. He is still alert, but does seem to tire easily (which I think is normal in a case like this, right?)

I cannot afford to take him to the vet, and there are no low income programs in my area for pet medical care. The best I can do is make him comfortable and try to help him gain some weight. I am feeding him the same dry food that I gave him before he ran off. My daughter also gave him some KMR this morning. Should I put him on kitten food until he is in better shape? What else can I do to help get him back to normal?

Also, one of our other cats refuses to accept him again. I have been keeping them in separate parts of the house since he came back. If I don’t, she “hunts him down”. She is relentless. And he won’t even fight back, he just runs away. What can I do to help them get along better?

Anonymous

Just a quick update. Pouncer is doing much better now. He is eating a mix of kitten food and his regular food, and has an excellent appetite. Drinking plenty of water. His activity level has improved as well. Still not getting along with the other cats in the house though, so he has been kept in a seperate area from them.

What does concern me is that he still has diarrhea. But since he still has a good appetite and does not appear lethargic, is this something I should worry about, or just give him a couple more days for his digestive system to get used to having food on a regular basis again?

Anonymous

Not sure if this will help, but I’ll try.
    I’m not sure about the diarrhea problem, but the cause of it is probably because of stress and the sudden change of diet. I’d give him few more days.
    As for the problem of the other cats not accepting him, I think I might have a solution. Take something of Pouncer’s (preferably a blanket or towel; it must have his scent on it) and place it underneath your other cat’s food dish, so that she can get accustomed to his scent.
    I hope it goes well. Keep us updated! 🙂

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

This link might help you figure out a good way to help pay vet bills so you can keep taking good care of the animals: [url]http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/what_you_can_do_if_you_are_having_trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html[/url]

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!