Logo

drjeff1

Lyme Disease

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Bandit is a Siberian Husky who is around 6-8 years old (we think). He was dropped off in early November and resisted being caught for two months before I got my hands on him. He was terrified of people and was even sedated in an attempt to catch him with no luck. I caught him in January and he’s been with us since. He was emaciated with no muscle mass at all, very poor coat and lifeless, broken looking eyes. He spent the first three days cowering on a bench in our kitchen before he opened up enough to hang out with us in the rest of the house. He is still terrified of men, including my boyfriend who he has lived with for the past four months, but now accompanies us everywhere. We know nothing of his past besides he was tied in a backyard somewhere and was not treated nicely. He is scared of any objects resembling a stick and has worn down teeth where you can actually see where he was chewing on a chain or bar. He is doing much better and has strongly bonded to me, but continues to struggle with other people. He has learned to play with my other two dogs and has gained about 20 pounds so far. He was diagnosed with Lyme disease 2 months ago and treated for 6 weeks with 250 mg twice daily of Doxycycline. The only symptom he showed was extreme stiffness. It’s hard to pick out any other symptoms as we didn’t know him before and the effects of starvation could have a lot to do with any symptoms he’s shown so far. I’m not sure if the paranoia is a symptom of Lyme Disease.

Personality
    Bandit is a happy, goofy dog when he is home alone with me, and a very nervous and aloof dog with other people. He loves going for rides and walks now and listens very well, even off leash. He LOVES to be brushed and likes to play with toys. He does not like to be touched by other people and hides on our bed if someone comes. He gets hot very easily but refuses to lay where it’s cooler as the couch and our bed are his safe spots.

He is raw fed, has been vaccinated for Rabies and Distemper, is fixed and has not been treated with any topicals or chemical dewormers since we have had him. He was wormed with DE when we first brought him home.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Hi Alicia! It sounds like your first step with Bandit would be to get him some *good* PRObiotics to combat the ANTIbiotic effects. I use Rx Biotic (powder from Rx Vitamins For Pets) and Probio (capsules from Xymogen).

Did he have a fever when diagnosed with “Lyme”? Did he respond to the doxy in the first few days of treatment?

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous

Oops, I forgot to mention that. He has been on, and still is, probiotics and liver support. The probiotics I have are human grade actually, would this make a difference? He responded to the doxy within the first 3 doses. He was incredibly arthritic acting before and within the first day began to run around and play for the first time since we’d had him. I thought it was a coincidence but I was told that if they do in fact have Lyme, most see a dramatic difference early on. This is all new to me so I have no idea if this rings true. The stiffness has not returned and he sits and lays down normal now. Before he would very slowly ease himself down and would constantly change positions when sleeping. His temp was normal though.

I’m not sure if this is of any value, but his multiplex numbers were OspA 160, OspC 3541 and OspF 16125. He has not been retested yet and now from what I’ve been learning about treating it homeopathically, I don’t need to? My head is swimming, I’ve been thrown so much info over the past few weeks!

Hope you have a great weekend as well and thanks for writing!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Thanks Alicia. A great and rapid clinical response to Lyme treatment is one of the top indicators of a true case of Lyme. Most that I see have had no discernible immediate response.

My main question now is whether I recall correctly (from Facebook) that he had low platelets. If so, I wonder if the thrombocytopenia is doxy related. How is his platelet count now that he is off doxy?

Also, please do not think that homeopathic medical treatment eliminates the need for a repeat of Cornell’s Multiplex test (which I think is the best test out there for Lyme in dogs). Homeopathic vets use *all* of the data (including diagnostic test results).

Be well.

Anonymous

Yes, his response was definitely immediate. I asked the vet tech when she called to see how he was doing and she said that it’s not unusual in patients with Lyme.

His platelets weren’t low per se…the number was 204, but were definitely on the lower end. The vet didn’t seem too concerned about it. He had been on doxy for 2 weeks, I believe, when the cbc/chem was run so it may be from the doxy as you said.

I am SO happy to hear you say to run the second multiplex!!! I was told by someone else that numbers don’t matter in the homeopathic world, which made me nervous. I would like to know what’s going on internally to get a better picture, especially with Bandit because we didn’t know him prior to being sick and starved. He will be due for the second multiplex in another month and I plan to have another cbc/chem run as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It means a lot to me!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[size=200]Fantastic Alicia! The 204K platelets should be fine.

Have a great night.[/size][size=200]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!