Logo

drjeff1

lyme disease

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

A few months ago my dog had his physical and he was found to have lyme antibodies we had him rechecked and the levels were high so his vet put him on doxycycline for 30 days he’s been on them for about 2 weeks but he keeps throwing up.

I have tried everything, boiled rice (which he hates) boiled chicken, boiled hamburger. My sister even made him meatloaf yesterday just to see if he would eat, scrambled eggs. He’s always been a picky eater but for the last week or so It’s like pulling hair to get him to eat. If I give him the pills on an empty stomach he throws up, if I give him the pills if he has only eaten a little he throws up. I’ve tried pepcid ac (it doesn’t work) I’ve tried pepto bismal and that doesn’t help either.

I’m at my whits end, not only can I not get the two (8 pills a day) doses into him a day I’m lucky if I can get one dose into him but he’s not eating like he normally does.

Normally he eats barf (I tried the barf w/the medication and he throws up) usually he will never ever pass up whatever we have for dinner, chicken etc. I even ground up some roast beef and put it in w/some rice and he refused to eat it.

I swear he doesnt’ want to eat because he is associating eating and 10 mins later getting his pills.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do? I’m terrified if I don’t get him to eat and take his pills he’s going to get worse.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=RysMom]found to have lyme antibodies we had him rechecked and the levels were high so his vet put him on doxycycline for 30 days
    [/quote]

Hi!

Did Ryker have clinical Lyme Disease or just exposure (shown by the persistent antibodies)?

[quote=RysMom] I’m terrified if I don’t get him to eat and take his pills he’s going to get worse.[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry too much. The antibiotics are not going to get rid of anything anyway. Only a strong immune system can do that. Having medication side-effects is not helping.

Personally I don’t use (or need) antibiotics for Lyme or most infections. Not only will Homeopathy treat the acute disease, but it will prevent “Chronic Lyme Syndrome”

I had severe (105 degree plus fevers) acute Lyme neurologic disease 5 summers ago and never took an antibiotic. With the correct Homeopathic remedy I was back to normal within twenty-four hours. I have never had a recurrence or sequelae.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

I’ve been raised to use what mother nature gave us to help with healing our bodys but when my oldest son contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever and the one thing that helped him over come it was antibiotics and the antibiotics did help.

RysMom have you looked into what is called the Pill Popper it is used to help give pet their medication when everything else failed.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009IODV0/103-0437172-0067054?v=glance[/url]

[url]http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07741-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5[/url]

[img]http://www.valleyvet.com/GetThumbnail.aspx?img=catalog_images/13445A.jpg&q=80&W=200&H=65[/img]

If the antibiotics is in a pill form you could get a pill crusher and crush the pills up and mix it up in his food.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=luv4gsd] it is used to help give pet their medication when everything else failed[/quote]

Actually the way I understand the situation is that giving the pill is not the problem. It is the vomiting after administration which is the issue.

Only decreasing the dose and/or spreading it out over more frequent administration is going to help.

Thanks for the link to the pill popper though. I am sure that others will find it very useful.

Dr. Jeff

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

I’ve been crushing his pills up for 2 days now and he’s not throwing it up anymore I guess my friend who said crushing them up will probably help him to stop vomiting was right!

Not knowing how to treat lyme disease w/homeopathy my only other option is to use antibiotics!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=ryksmom]I guess my friend who said crushing them up will probably help him to stop vomiting was right!

Not knowing how to treat lyme disease w/homeopathy my only other option is to use antibiotics![/quote]

That’s great about crushing the pills. Usually it makes the nausea/vomiting even worse, so I’m very glad that it’s working for you.

Regarding homeopathy. This is not something which you do yourself. This is a serious situation and you need to be guided by an experienced vet homeopath. Most of us will work over the phone as consultants to augment your local vet care.

Go to [url]http://theavh.org/refcover.htm[/url] for a referral list.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Fleas, Ticks and other Parasites’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!