Logo

drjeff1

Loss of Appetite due to Illness

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, I have just joined this board and have a few questions…

I have an 11 week old American Bulldog puppy. She has contracted either Distemper or Canine Influenza and secondary pneumonia. She is also anemic.

She is on Amoxicillin, Enrofloxacin (Baytril), Tamilfu, and just went off of Metacam as her fever has finally gone. She lost weight because of this illness and her appetite is low. I worry, because she needs appropriate nutritional support to beat this bug. Today we added Derm Caps ES and Pet-Tinic to her regimen.

She has been eating Abady granular large breed puppy food, but her lack of appetite has forced us to get more creative with her meals. I have tried adding baby food, sardines, jack mackerel, canned dog food, warm water… just about everything. She still isn’t eating well. I understand that her loss of appetite may be due to the antibiotics, but we cannot nix them for fear of relapse.

She still has a wet, deep, but unproductive cough and mucus discharge from her nose. It dries to a brownish-rust color. I have a vaporizer set up near her when she sleeps to try to help loosen up the mucus in her chest.

Is there any supplement or holistic method to stimulate appetite and/or help her?

(She had her first round of vaccines for Distemper and Rabies before getting sick)

Thank You.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Schwe]
    Is there any supplement or holistic method to stimulate appetite and/or help her?
    .[/quote]

Take a look at [url]https://www.homevet.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=28[/url] and [url]https://www.homevet.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=83[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!