Logo

drjeff1

Looking for good puppy food – does a commercial one exit?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Diet and Nutrition Issues Looking for good puppy food – does a commercial one exit?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We have a 6 month old italian greyhound, we have been feeding him the commercial brand that our breeder uses, however, in reading the contents, to my horror I find all kinds of stuff that is talked about in the article by Ann N. Martin which appears on your website.
    my cousin also has an IG, and she makes her own food consisting of
    ground chuck, long grain rice, sea salt, carrots, and sprinkles Prozyme on top. This seems so simple and straight forward, and at least I would know what I am actually feeding him, as opposed to all the chemical names and stuff on the commercial food. My main concern is if the above home “brew”, is nutritionally sound for my puppy, who is VERY active, and growing like a weed.
    If you can advise what else I should include if I decide to try him on the new “home cooked” food rather than the commerical one with all the chemicals. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    I am sooooo happy I found your website. Thank you.

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff will certainly give you some excellent advice for home cooked/raw diets. Seems like you would need more supplements for the ingredients you listed.

I think you can find healthy commercial food without the chemicals and poor ingredients from years past.

Check out Whole Dog Journal for their list of high quality commercial foods. Being from So. Californina, as I am, their are lots to choose from sold in the private pet stores and NOT at Petco or PetsMart.
    [url]http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/[/url]

CANIDAE is my personal choice for commercial dry food. htp://www.canidae.com

Even with high quality commercial food, I used to add PROZYME but now use Vibrant Pets Ultimate Formula which uses the raw ingredients as Prozyme but adds so much more.

[url]http://www.vibrantpets.net[/url]

Anonymous

If you are looking in to commercial type dog food I would go with Chicken Soup for the dog lover’s soul.

Anonymous

🙂 Thank you for telling me about “chicken soup for the dog lovers soul”
    I was able to find a local supplier, and my little guy is eating it like he never ate before. I feel more comfortable with the ingredients, as I didn’t see any of the “catch phrases” which meant that there were dead animals included in this product, plus it even tasted good to me.
    Thanks so much. Do you in addition use the Vibrant Pets Ultimate Formula
    with this, or have you found that this product is totally adequate for good nutrition. I’m going to do more research on the company, and see if
    they make treats also.
    Thanks again for the tip, I had never heard of that brand of pet food.
    Best wishes, Pico’s mommy 🙂

Anonymous

You are welcome pico’s mommy. I’m glad that I could help and that he is happy with the food. I give NUPRO all natural dog supplement to my pack. I have one dog on chicken soup for the dog lovers soul and the rest of my pack is fed BARF.

Anonymous

I am now weaning Pico off of Purina one – Puppy Growth and Development
    and feeding him 1/2 of Purina, and 1/2 of “Chicken Soup……”
    also I’ve continued to make the concoction in my original posting,
    he actually loves my cooking better than anything else.
    I have been wondering, is there some kind of list of fruits/veggies that
    are NOT good for dogs.
    So far he loves grapes, apples, oranges, carrots, nectarines, but doesn’t like watermelon.
    I don’t give him much, (like 3 small grapes, small pieces of the others)
    He is actually getting heavier than I would like, but I think that it is due to lack of exercise (it’s been 100 plus degrees outside).

Any information on what NOT to feed him would be most appreciated.
    🙂

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=pico’s mommy]
    Any information on what NOT to feed him would be most appreciated.
    :)[/quote]

Pretty much everything that is good for us is good for him. The notable exceptions are grapes/raisins and chocolate (which I guess isn’t really good for us either). Unlike chocolate, there really is no toxic principle in grapes (and in fact grape seed and skin extract is a very useful natural medicine in dogs). Many of us think that it is a pesticide or fungicide which is sprayed on the graoe that canh cause kidney toxicity in some dogs. Buying organic grapes should prevent this exposure.

The other proviso is that dogs really aren’t well adapted to cooked foods. Their natural diet is raw (to which they are physiologically adapted). Cooked animal fats, e.g. cooked beef or dark meat poultry/poultry skin is somewhat iffy. It’s not toxic in any way but some dogs (especially older ones already adapted to a commercial food diet) can develop gastrointestinal problems from eating cooked fats.

As my intro diet handout says, the best diet is made up of the freshest (preferably organic) food possible given in wide variety and in moderation. Any way that you accomplish this will be better than the common practice of feeding one brand of processed commercial food for your dog’s entire life.

This is a very important topic so feel free to ask any other questions (though I bet most of them will be answered by documents in my info library and elsewhere on this board…).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!