Logo

drjeff1

Laborador with hot spots

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

My 7 yr old Lab has been in and out of our vets office with very stubborn hot spots that have caused her much discomfort and have created bald and open sores/scabs on her lower back and legs…I have tried 2 rounds of veternary antibiotics and topical sprays to stop this and the vet said she is allergic, I have changed her food from fresh beef and kibbles to chicken and kibbles, have been givng her Nutra Pro and Omega 3 suppliments to help, and still no relief…what do I do next? ❓

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Raina 1]very stubborn hot spots

I have tried 2 rounds of veternary antibiotics and topical sprays to stop this and the vet said she is allergic,

what do I do next? :?:[/quote]

Hi Raina-

This is an extremely common and difficult problem both in Labs and other breeds. The incidence of allergies in dogs (and cats and people…) is increasing exponentially every year. Fortunately help is available (I know because I got into Homeopathy originallhy when my own lifelong allergies were cured homeopathically).

As a homeopath I look at allergic problems differently than when I treated this problem conventionally. Basically what I know now is that focusing on the lesions themselves (with cortisone, antibiotics, topicals, etc.) may help temporarily but is only going to create greater problems in the future.

The [b]underlying[/b] issue is what’s most important. This isn’t the skin “infection” or allergen that triggers the reaction. In [b]every[/b] allergic patient there is a systemic immune hypersensitvity.

By moderating this hypersensitivity the allergic threshold (that level above which the body reacts to an allergic trigger such as pollen or food) will be raised. Once this occurs, the symptoms will resolve.

Of course it’s great to help skin manifestations of allergies, and that’s why many of my new clients come to see me. What is even more important though is that by helping the underlying immune dysfunction we are able to [b]prevent[/b] more serious immune disorders later in life.

I would love to discuss this important topic further, but I’ve got to run off to Yoga. You will also find more info on this topic in the Homeopathy and Diet folders.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Dr. Jeff

BTW-In the future if you log in before you post I’ll know that you posted and be able to respond

Anonymous

[quote=Anonymous]My 7 yr old Lab has been in and out of our vets office with very stubborn hot spots that have caused her much discomfort and have created bald and open sores/scabs on her lower back and legs…I have tried 2 rounds of veternary antibiotics and topical sprays to stop this and the vet said she is allergic, I have changed her food from fresh beef and kibbles to chicken and kibbles, have been givng her Nutra Pro and Omega 3 suppliments to help, and still no relief…what do I do next? :?:[/quote]

I tend to agree mostly but I’m still not sure I understand everything here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!