Logo

drjeff1

kittens/diahrea

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

I have 4 kittens (6-7 weeks old) that I rescued that have diahrea right after eating everytime, some vomit, checked by a vet, both fecals were negative. the vet is treating them w/albon. they also have ear mites and were treated w/kitten revolution. diahrea seems to have worsened. is this normal? they are not dehydrated and have energy, drink water, eat, use the litterbox and play. thank you.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=sharonz] is this normal? they are not dehydrated and have energy, drink water, eat, use the litterbox and play.[/quote]

No. These symptoms are not normal (although they are seen commonly in many kittens). Without a lot more individual info it is impossible to know whether these symptoms are due to age, inheritance, vaccination, diet, parasites (though the stool result makes that less likely) or drugs.

I’d try a baby food diet and Probiotics like Gentle Digest from Ark Naturals or ProBi liquid to start. Avoid further drug therapy or topical insecticides unless absolutely necessary.

At this age it is of utmost importance that they have an appropriate caloric
    intake to facilitate rapid growth. Work closely with your (holistic) vet to optimize their diet and help insure a happy long life for all of the kittens.

Anonymous

Hi Sharon,

I sometimes feed my dog with rice soup (congee) when she has stomach upset or diarrhea. It is very gentle for the sensitive stomach and GI system – an ancient Chinese formula, I believe.

Teresa.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=puppy88]I sometimes feed my dog with rice soup (congee) [/quote]

Hi Teresa-

How do you prepare the congee? Do you then mix it with the food or will your dog eat it straight?

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Hi Dr. Jeff,

Usually, you cook the rice in a large amount of water, roughly about 1/2 cup of rice to 5 cups of water. Add the rice to cold water, bring the water to boil, then simmer for about an hour or so till the rice totally “dissolved”.

It doesn’t matter if you feed the dog just with congee or add the congee to the dog food. In general, I find it works best if you totally remove regular dog food when the dog is still having active diarrhea, just go with nothing but the congee. Then, slowly add more regular food to the congee till the dog is well enough to resume to the regular diet.

Plain congee works the best, but if the pet is a finicky eater, one could consider adding a little ground beef or chicken to make it more tasty.
    By the way, this formula works well with little kids with diarrhea.

Congee is considered as one of the most common “food therapy” the Chinese use.

Hope this answers your question.
    Teresa.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=puppy88]
    Congee is considered as one of the most common “food therapy” the Chinese use.
    [/quote]

Thanks. This is exactly how I have clients prepare “mushy” rice for pets with diarrhea.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!