Logo

drjeff1

Itchy ears and skin

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have two Boston Terriers now. The youngest is 9 months old and the other one is 2 and a half years old. The youngest starting having red itchy ears about 4 months ago. I took her to the vet and she does not have any kind of mites or mange. About two months ago I got the older one. He got what the youngest one has but we still do not know what is causing this. What can we do to keep them from itching and scratching. Their ears are very red and both are losing hair in certain spots. I’ve tried everything but still with no success. What can we do?

Martha 😕

Anonymous

Have you gotten anything new in the house such as new rugs or slipcovers or furniture? Sometimes animals can be allergic to the fibers or the preservatives the manufacturers put on fabric. Also, have you changed their food or fed them something out of the ordinary? This too could cause an allergic reaction.

My advice would be to find a good Homeopathic/Holistic Vet in your area and have a work up done. Allergies are an imbalance is the system and need to be addressed.

Good luck

Anonymous

Thanks Val for your response. There is nothing new in the house and I have not changed any food. Took them back to the vet yesterday and she put them on a different kind of dogfood and on antibiotics. She said that I might have to have a skin biopsy on the little one. She thinks it’s allergies but we cannot figure it out. There still are no mites, fleas, etc.

Is there a remedy to keep them from itching all of the time?

Thanks
    Martha

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=martha5601]What can we do to keep them from itching and scratching. Their ears are very red and both are losing hair [/quote]

Are you working with a homeopathic or holistic vet? If so, you must realize that the itchy ears are a manifestation of a systemic internal imbalance. Proper diet (fresh food, meat-based), certain supplements (like omega-3 and other fatty acids, grape seed extract, etc.) and constitutional homeopathy will correct the inflammatory reaction which is leading to the itchy ears.

BTW-homeopathic remedies are chosen based on the totality of the individual so there is no single remedy for any symptom, e.g. itchy ears and/or skin

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

We do not have a homopathic or holistic vet here in this area. Is there anything that you could tell me about how to manage this. I have changed the food and the vet does think it is allergies. They are on antibiotics and benadryl. But I think it’s too much but it’s what the vet recommended.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!