Logo

drjeff1

Itchy Dog

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My shepherd/lab mix scratches himself alot more than usual. It’s never in one place, but all over. It hasnt gotten so bad to cause any noticeable redness in one spot, but i’m concerned.

He recently had a mild case of fleas that i’m positive was resolved. He’s cream/white in color, which makes it easier to view any parasites. Visual sightings on pet are negative, flea traps inside negative, and temps outside are cold enough to kill any fleas outside.

We ridded the fleas with about 3 full body baths over a months time. I would put him in the tub, lather up his head and neck, and then fill the tub to just under his jawline and let him soak for 10 minutes. I used an oatmeal dog shampoo made for dry skin, just so all the baths he was getting wouldnt dry out his skin.

He’s been eating Bravo for a couple of months, but i’m wondering if there is something i could add to his food to help him if it is dry skin he’s suffering from.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jr365] i’m wondering if there is something i could add to his food to help him if it is dry skin he’s suffering from.[/quote]

Congratulations on getting rid of the fleas!! That can be a *huge* project in and of itself. I also heartily applaud you for upgrading to a species-appropriate diet (for those who don’t know, Bravo is a human grade, grain-free meat/bone/veggie food).

In situations like this (where the fleas triggered an itchy skin response) I advise adding mixed fatty acids (like EFA-Z+ https://www.homevet.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=ENTER&thispage=page1.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!#efaz )
    augmented with omega-3’s, grape seed extract (Antiox), +/- MSM and trace minerals as needed. Vitamins C and E as well as quercetin and bromelain can also be very useful. I use the Respirall product that contains a blend of all of these.

In addition, use HyLyt spray for topical moisturizing along with daily brushing.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!