Logo

drjeff1

Itchy Butt

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I’ve noticed in the last two days, that my dog Maggie has been dragging her butt accross the carpet. It doesn’t look red or irritated. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it common?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=wgillroy]I’ve noticed in the last two days, that my dog Maggie has been dragging her butt accross the carpet

Is it common?[/quote]

Yes!! All too common. This rear end itchiness is often associated (notice that I did not say caused by) inflammation/improper function of the anal sacs.

These two glandular sacs are located on both sides of the rectum and typically fill up and empty spontaneously (usually in the stool) every day.

“Scooting” (dragging the butt on the ground) is frequently seen when this normal emptying process does not occur. It is a common but not normal (see my handout [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/common.html[/url] for more info) sign of early internal imbalance.

Other common causes include intestinal parasites (especially tapeworms) and allergies.

The most common quick-fix is to have your vet palpate (feel) and “express” the content of these glands. Of course that doesn’t deal with the underlying issue, i.e. why they are weak in the first place. To do that you should consult a veterinary homeopath who will address this issue head-on.

Good luck!!

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!