Logo

drjeff1

Is Merrick canned….

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 10 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,
    Is Merrick canned a good choice for a cat that has struvite crystals tendency?
    She had struvite crystals removed last year…and was placed on a Royal Canin urinary So. First tried the canned version, which she hated and resorted to the dry formula…which I am concerned about as I would like to get her on a moist diet. The vet agrees that wet food is best. But every brand I have tried such as Wellness, Natural Balance, Newman’s own, etc. she will not eat. She likes Fancy Feast but I am afraid to continue that after reading the label more closely. I am learning and am ashamed to admit it, but it’s the truth, I was “ignorant” and started her out on dry food, so I guess she is “addicted” to it. The vet says that the dry food she was on prior to the Crystals was too high in magnesium and to look for a food that has a low ash and magnesium. (no wheat, no artificial, etc.) The reason I am asking about Merrick, is, that I finally found one that she will eat, and the label shows the ash is 1.80, moisture 78.0, magnesium .025. she isn’t eating that wholeheartedly yet but did make an attempt, which was more than she’s done with the others I mentioned trying above. She is eating Wellness dry which has the added cranberries and says promotes healthy urinary,etc.
    Any advise will be appreciated. My vet advises to continue with the dry Urinary So, but I hate to see her not enjoying her meals…she tolerates it but isn’t the dry although keeping her ph at an okay level, not as good as a wet food diet? Should I try to keep introducing wet food, and if so, which one?
    Thanks!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Simba]Hi,
    Is Merrick canned a good choice for a cat that has struvite crystals tendency?[/quote]

This is OK to use for now. It is best however to continue trying to vary the diet. Also try introducing some fresh (not canned) foods like chicken, turkey, beef, etc. Read my diet articles and links for much more info.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!