Logo

drjeff1

Introducing rescue boxer to resident boxer

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello,

I recently rescued a 8 year old male boxer and he is very calm, easy going. The problem is my 4 year old girl boxer girl-who I have had since 8 weeks old. (I share custody of her with and ex boy friend-she so spends a week with me and then goes back to him for a week.) She has no trouble adjusting between the homes, actually I think she likes it!
    Here is my dilema- I introduced her to Harley (the rescue) in a neutral territory, I took her off her lead and left him on his. At first tails were wagging and she took the usual bow (inviting him to play) then she tried to take is head off. He did not try to hurt her back, just looked a little confused as was I. She is not warming up to him-still trys to jump him. What can I do to make this easier. I have some people say let them fight and it will establish the leader. I cannot bear the thought of them going at it. Should I get a trainer to be with me when I do this again? She is with her daddy right now because it’s so upsetting to me when she goes after him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=boxerbabe64]Should I get a trainer to be with me when I do this again? [/quote]

Thank you so much for adopting this rescue dog. I wish more people would help homeless pets this way.

From your description it doesn’t really sound like there is much of a problem. Your resident female is almost certainly just trying to establish her alpha (dominant) position in your new pack, and probably will not hurt the rescue.

Having a trainer help you with the introduction is a great idea, but again, I bet that everything will be OK. MikeB may also have some input from his professional dog training experience.

The following is an excerpt from my introducing new pets document that you can find in my info center:

Dogs are best introduced with both dogs restrained on a leash. If you are confident of your resident dog’s good nature and good social behavior, you may not need the leash. Unless the new dog is a young puppy or juvenile, it is probably best to use a leash.

Ideally, introduce the dogs on neutral territory that is unfamiliar to both dogs or where neither one has been for long. If this cannot be conveniently arranged, let them greet on the outside perimeters of the resident dog’s territory. This may be in your neighborhood at a distance from your home. In the heart of your dog’s territory, such as inside your home, conflicts are more likely to occur.

Though it is difficult to predict how dogs will interact, most adult dogs tolerate the clumsiness of puppies and juveniles. Problems are more likely between 2 adult animals when one or both have been unfriendly toward other dogs.

As much as possible, place the new dog in a “down/stay” position in the resident dog’s presence. Teach the new dog to accept a submissive position in deference to your resident dog, creating a clear basis for their relationship. This should help control their initial encounter so that they can gradually work out their social status by subtle challenges and with only minor conflict later.

If problems escalate, separate the dogs and slowly reintroduce them under careful supervision. In cases of extreme aggression by either or both dogs toward the other, it is probably not worthwhile to proceed.

Also see How Dogs Think. [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/dogthink.html[/url]

Good luck, and thanks again for adopting!

Anonymous

I dont even understand that. What does that mean?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!