Logo

drjeff1

I Think My Kitten Has Hairballs. What Should I Do?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: My 5/6 month old kitten is starting to get hairballs. I try to brush him regularly, and even bought soem “hairball remover” from the local pet store. This remedy doesn’t seem to help him at all. He is still gagging quite a bit, and is not vomiting anything up. Are there any other methods/remedies you may suggest? A friend mentioned that their vet recommended feeding their cat raw hamburger, as this will help them vomit, getting rid of the hairball. I don’t know if that is a completely safe method. Is it?

Any insight would be helpful.

Rick Endrulat

Sex: Male

username: [email protected]

Pet: Feline

Breed: Domestic Short Hair

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Are you sure the gagging is from hairballs? Has he ever thrown up a hairball? Aside from brushing and lubricants, I have had excellent success using enzymes to dissolve hairballs internally. To start, I would buy some papaya enzymes and give him one/day. If there is no improvement increase to two/day. Let me know how this works for you. I’m sure your cat would *love* raw hamburger, but I don’t think it would be a reliable way to make him vomit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!