Logo

drjeff1

I have questions about adopting a stray dog

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: Doc.
    Thanks for having your services available to the online public. I recently found a young female dog abandoned in a shopping center parking lot. I don’t normally pick up strays, but the weather was bad and the Christmas Shoppers were out in full force. I brought this dog home and made all efforts to locate an owner. I have now decided to end my search and make my family owners of this friendly dog. She is great with my daughter (we don’t leave them alone together) and loves our family cat. I was wondering what are the odds of finding out her age and if her breed is full-blooded. I plan to seek vet.care for her after the first of the year. Will she require all shots normally given in the sequence of puppies? I also plan to have her neutered soon since we have decided to keep her. She went into heat on Christmas day. I was wondering what are the chances of her getting pregnant before we noticed, and if so, would she still be bleeding. I hope you can help with my quest! ions till I am able to get her to the clinic.

Once again, Thank you.

Julie

Sex: Female

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Lab??

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

I would advise avoiding vaccination at this time. Distemper and parvo titers (antibody levels)can be run to see if she already has immune (antibody-mediated) protection. Your vet will be able to give you a rough idea of her age, and breed(s). There are also (fairly accurate) genetic panels that can be run if you want even more info. If she started bleeding on Christmas day, then she actually will be able to become pregnant 7-10 days after this point. The full heat cycle lasts about 21 days, but most dogs only bleed for the first 5-7 days.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!