Logo

drjeff1

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have an 8 year old male cat who was just diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. We had visited our vet with possible FLUTD, however, stones showed up in his bladder on an x-ray. Less than a week later during pre-surgery tests, the doctor noticed a heart murmer (which was apparently not present the previous week) and cancelled the surgery.

We just had an ultrasound which confirmed the HCM. He said there was focal thickening of the heart wall, but the left atrium was not enlarged and we caught this early and the disease had not progressed.

The doctor cleared Willy for the surgery to remove the stones in his bladder with some extra precautions and at this point, did not recommend any medication. However, I am going to be checking his heart rate for the next week or so to confirm and disprove the fast heart rate measured at the vet’s office. If it is above 160 beats per minute, then, he recommends medication to slow the heart rate.

As far as prognosis, he was unable to say, which I understand. It seems as if this greatly varies. He did give the impression that there is a possiblity that the disease won’t progress and we won’t see any complications.

I did read the write up on this disease in the library (at [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/felcardi.html)[/url], so I am a bit confused about the prognosis section. When discussing the survival rate of 3 months to 3 years with an average life span of 6 months, is this referring to a cat with a very progressed disease or one that simply has the disease?

Is there anything I can do to slow or stop the progression of this disease with homeopathic care?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandi

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=bmh]When discussing the survival rate of 3 months to 3 years with an average life span of 6 months, is this referring to a cat with a very progressed disease or one that simply has the disease?

Is there anything I can do to slow or stop the progression of this disease with homeopathic care?

[/quote]

Hi Brandi-

Most subclinical HCM cats can live many years (often a “normal” lifespan). The stats quoted for cats that already have clinical disease.

You definitely should start treating homeopathically now as this will slow the progression of the disease.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!