Logo

drjeff1

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I noticed rapid breathing in my 2 year old cat over a weekend. On the following Monday, I brought him to the vet. They took an x-ray and told me his heart was enlarged and sent us right down to the University of Minnesota Vet Hospital. By the afternnon he was in an oxygen tank and by evening I had to put him down. I didn’t even know he was sick. They told me he had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.
    Can you tell me more about this disease? I have another 5 month old kitten that is from the same mom. Is this usually genetic? Does my new kitten have a good chance at having the same thing?
    These kittens were born to a feral barn cat so she has not been to a vet. I have found homes for her kittens for 4 years and never had this happen.
    Please help me understand this disease. I have never been so devasted as to lose him!

[/quote]

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=heartbroken]
    Can you tell me more about this disease?

I have another 5 month old kitten that is from the same mom. Is this usually genetic? Does my new kitten have a good chance at having the same thing? [/quote]

I’m so sorry for your loss. Take a look at my article on HCM to learn more:
    [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/felcardi.html[/url]

There may indeed be a genetic component to this disease but I think it is *very* unlikely that your kitten has cardiomyopathy. A screening echocardiogram may be worthwhile to ease your anxiety.

The best way to guard against this disease once you find that it is not present n your kitten is a good, fresh meat-based diet and multivitamins including taurine. Constitutional homeopathic care will help reduce the chances of acquiring this (and many other) disease later in life.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!