Logo

drjeff1

Husky Breeding

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

This isn’t a medical problem but a general breeding question. I have 2 Siberian Husky Dogs and I was considering breeding them , but I wanted to know if there is a good age to breed them? The female, Zoe, is 5 years of age, and Yukon , the Male , is 7 months. I dont want to make any mistakes that would make them unhappy in any way , so I want to make sure everything is right before we breed them.If you have anyother helpful information on breeding them, please included it!
    Thank You,
    HuskyLuver

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Huskyluver] I dont want to make any mistakes that would make them unhappy in any way , [/quote]

Good morning-

My first question is why do you want to breed them? Pregnancy/whelping can bring on *a lot* of serious health problems (for the female). I just heard yesterday of a dog who died 1 week from whelping do a pregancy-realated complication.

Personally I had one experience with breeding one of my champion Standard Poodles (the co-owner of my bitch wanted puppies). It was a nightmare and I will never do it again. You need a lot of time and dedication to do it correctly (and to do the best for your dogs, the pups, and the breed in general).

In general it’s better to wait until maturity to breed your male. Your female is closing in on the “safe” age-limit to have a first litter so you need to make a decision within the year.

I advise you to read as many resources as you can about breeding before you make your decision.

I’m hoping that others that see your message will relate their own breeding experiences.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!