Logo

drjeff1

How contagious is a cat with feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV)?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems How contagious is a cat with feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV)?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: This question is in reference to my daughter kitty,
    who was just diagnosed with FIV. She must be in a later stage, as she is “wasting” (4.25 lbs), has terrible gum disease and diahrea. My daughter and her kitty moved into our household 2 months ago and my cats tested negative to FIV today. My daughter wants to put her cat to sleep,
    but I’m such a hopeful person, I could isolate the infected cat from my cats until she moves out (that will
    be in a couple of months) and then she could live with her cat. She adores this cat and I quess I’m wondering how dangerous the situation is for
    my cats and how much sickness and pain the infected kitty will have from now on.
    Kathie

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: siamese

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

I would hate to see your daughter put such a young, beloved companion to sleep. FIV in and of itself is not painful, and the signs can be managed as they arise if she is willing to do so. You must realize however that your daughter may be ready to put this cat to sleep, now, and not agonize with a chronically ill cat through all of the emotional ups and downs. The danger to your cats is minimal, especially if you are able to separate them. FIV is transmitted primarily by bite wounds, and is therefore not aseasily acquired as FeLV. If she decides to try and treat, I would start the cat on a high quality, high protein diet such as human baby food (no cat food), or home-cooked wet rice/chicken or turkey with added enzymes. Coenzyme Q-10 10mg/day will help with the gum disease. I would also start her on a course of supplements/immune enhancers such as Interferon (which your vet can make up), dimethylglycine, and Pau D’Arco. These are all liquids so they can be administered relatively easily without having to pill her.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!