Logo

drjeff1

How can I help my dog who is scratching herself until she bleeds?

Welcome to your reliable resource for online holistic veterinary help Forums Pet Owners Forum Medical Problems How can I help my dog who is scratching herself until she bleeds?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Question: Constant itching on face and neck area especially at the corners of her jaw.
    She will scratch herself bloody unless
    she wears an “E” collar all the time.
    She is extremely distracted by this
    condition to the point that any petting
    results in her rolling around and
    rubbing up against anythin trying
    to get some relief. What to do? Is
    there any topically applied agent?
    More frequent bathing? ( She gets
    bathed only infrequently: 1xmo.)
    thanks

Sex: Female Neutered

username: [email protected]

Pet: Canine

Breed: Wheaton Terrior

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, you have a breed of dog which is frequently fraught with allergies. If your vet has ruled out parasitic skin disease with skin scrapings and cultures, then we can assume that she is suffering from allergic skin disease. If the itching subsides if your vet gives a steroid, then I would aggressively pursue anti-allergic treatment. Does she have a wool blanket or bed which she puts her head on that could be exacerbating the itching. If so, or if there is any other environmental factor you can identify, get rid of it/them. If you aren’t able to eliminate any underlying causes then I would start her on a hypoallergenic diet, i.e.,. a protein source to which she has never been exposed like duck or venison, appropriate vitamins and fatty acids such as those present in the veterinary product EFA-Z+ supplemented with two 1,000 mg fish oil capsules per day. Also the natural antiinflammatories quercetin and bromelain can be very useful. Therapeutic cool oatmeal baths can help the itching temporarily, and I would follow them up with a creme rise using the veterinary product “Relief”. This creme rinse contains oatmeal and a topical antihistamine which work quite well. Speaking of antihistamines, you should try and find an oral antihistamine that helps her itching. Chlorphenaramine, diphenhydramine, and hydroxyzine or one of the others will almost certainly provide some symptomatic relief. Also, the Chinese herbal formulation Xanthium Relieve Surface works well in some dogs.

Good luck. This is a chronic problem, and you might want to consider internal energetic treatment with homeopathy. It can both relieve the underlying cause for the itch as well as reduce further problems inherent in this breed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!