Logo

drjeff1

Housebreaking a bichon

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tony Scott 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I need some advice with regards to a 12 week old puppy, a bichon frise, we have purchased over a week ago. At first she would eliminate immediatley when brought outside, now her behavior has become increasingly defiant only wishing to stay in the house and have accidents inside, even after being brought outside, given a command (“get busy”) and given lots of praise and a dog treat after she does go. Much more frequently she is soiling her crate, she is given water in her crate but not food, she is in her crate during the night and for about 6 hours during the day. She is played with and adored from 3 – 11 pm everday. She is played with and adored from 6 am – 9am everyday. 9 – 3 pm is nap time, why is she doing this and why is she going backwards so speak, rather than forward in her training? How do I break her bad habit of soiling where she sleeps and drinks? Please help!

Anonymous

First of all if you think your pup will just sleef from 9 to 3 I don’t think so.

Second, I would NOT put water in her crate. I am sure you do this from 9AM till 3 PM while you are gone working… Right? A puppy must potty sometime from 9-3 since it ate that morning. Better to use an Exercise Pen, an 8 panel wire pen set up on a tile floor with a potty area and water area. No pup would be expected to not potty all day after eating food in the morning and having water all day. Yes the dog need water during the day, I just NEVER crate them all day with water. I alway make sure they have safe stuffed KONG chew toys too.

Check this site for what I mean by an exercise pen, if you are not familar.

[url]http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?itemType=INDEX&itemID=805[/url]

When you need to take the pup outside, put the leash on. Pups need to learn NOT to fight the leash but come to you, praised, be leashed up and go outside to potty when you are home and away. That way you can continue the positive training you started. Glad to know you are teaching her to go on command. You will be so glad you did that for the future.

You are welcome to write me further if needed at : [email][email protected][/email]
    I will be happy to help further any way I can.
    MikeB in So. California

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=dawnm]Much more frequently she is soiling her crate, she is given water in her crate but not food,[/quote]

Eliminating in the crate is [b]almost always[/b] a function of too big of a crate. If she has more room than is needed to stand up and turn around (in place), then the crate is too big.

If she has enough space to walk a few steps, eliminate in a corner, then go lie back elsewhere in the crate, then you can modify the space in the crate by putting a cardboard box inside near the back (effectively blocking it off). In addition, it’s not a good idea to leave water in the crate as this also promotes poor habits.

At this age she should not be left in the crate from more than 2-3hours (exept overnight). If possible, get someone to come in and let her out and play with her for a bit before you get home.

Read my puppy training documents for more info.

Good luck. Enjoy your puppy.

Anonymous

Dawn,

I agree with Dr. Jeff and should have mentioned that in my post too.

How big is the crate you are using? Do you think that is the case?

Does your pup pee in the crate during the night or only when left all day.

MikeB

Anonymous

<<<>>

The crate is small, suited for dogs her size, she has enough room to stand and turn around, that is it. She has had accidents in the crate during the night (I do not leave water for her at night) and she has had accidents in the crate when left for only an hour or so. I usually give her at least 1 hour to go after eating and drinking when I walk her to her special spot in the yard. At this point when she is brought to her spot outside she knows why she’s there, I praise her quietly while she’s going and say the command word a couple times, before, during and after she goes, I also use the leash and then when she’s done going I set her free to reward her (is this a good idea?). Still, when at home, she does not let me know that she needs to go by going to the door or barking, I see her circling and sniffing and bring her out, otherwise she would find a place in the house and go.
    At this point I have been able to get someone to come and walk her at 12, which appears to have positive results, since the day she was walked I came home to no unpleasant surprises! 🙂 I hope it continues, I am worried that she will be unable to break the habit of using her crate as the place to relieve herself.

Thanks for responding,
    Dawn

Anonymous

[quote=MikeB]
    Better to use an Exercise Pen, an 8 panel wire pen set up on a tile floor with a potty area and water area.[/quote]

Won’t having a potty area confuse her and hinder her ability to become fully housebroken?

Dawn

Anonymous

At 12 weeks old pups just can’t “hold it” that long and need some relief mid day. Glad your noon The x-pen just gives her a bigger area so be in while you are gone. As the pup grows and it’s system can “hold it” longer they become more reliable at being house broken. For now prevention is the key and I personally don’t think the crate is the answer for long term confinement. Just my opinion of raising many many puppies.

I think your pup will learn to become house broken, it just takes patience and time for them to grow up and understand.

Maybe teaching your pup to ring a bell hung on the door knob will help.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

[quote=MikeB]

I think your pup will learn to become house broken, it just takes patience and time for them to grow up and understand.

Maybe teaching your pup to ring a bell hung on the door knob will help.[/quote]

I have heard about the bell and I like the idea. The more I read about Bichons the more it seems they are a difficult breed to housebreak. Is this true or an over-generalization?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!