Logo

drjeff1

Hip Dysplasia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,

Rian’s Autumn Butterfly came to live with me two years ago, she’s an Old English Sheepdog, now 4 years old. I got her from the same breeder I got her half sister 6 months earlier, she (Rian’s Puffer) was 3 months old when I got her.
    Butterfly is, what I call, show-dog reject. When she had her hips x-rayed they were slightly off, so the breeder, who I trust, said she didn’t want to use her for breeding and was selling her. The breeder told me that Butterfly would most likely not start having any hip problems until she got much older, but unfortunately she is showing signs already.
    My vet said she probably has dip dysplasia, he didn’t x-ray her. He put her on Rimadyl. After the first day on Rimadyl, Butterfly vomited, which she never does and the next day she had diarrhea. I took her off Rimadyl right away and started giving her the same over-the-counter hip and joint formula I had already been giving my 3rd OES. (Otis, he’s a rescue I got 1 1/2 years ago with arthritis; he’s now 9 1/2 yrs old) Butterfly seems to do fine with this.
    Butterfly favors one rear leg mostly when it’s cold outside, but is better when the weather is nice. I live in Nebraska, so we are definitely in the cold season now.
    What are your thougths on Rimadyl? Is there one over-the-counter medicine that’s better than the next?
    Butterfly has her annual check-up this Monday and I know my vet is going to preach and encourage me to put Butterfly back on Rimadyl, but I don’t want to. I have heard so many bad stories about this medicine. Are they true?

Sorry for this long e-mail, wanted to give you some background.

Thank you for your time,
    Tarja

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=oesrule]
    What are your thougths on Rimadyl?

Is there one over-the-counter medicine that’s better than the next?

I have heard so many bad stories about this medicine. Are they true[/quote]

Hi Tarja-

Regarding Rimadyl (or Deramax or…). It definitely can be toxic. Deaths associated with it have been reported. That being said, I know dogs who have been on it for years and are doing OK. Personally I would only use it in an end-stage situation. If modifying the diet (no grains), homeopathy and *appropriate* supplementation isn’t helping, then drugs are better than the alternative (lousy quality of life or euthanasia).

The best tolerated OTC NSAID is Ascriptin (aspirin + Maalox).

As I mentioned before, some (though not all) of the horror stories are true. Any drug can cause serious toxicity. That’s one of the reasons I love Homeopathy (which is always non-toxic since the remedies are ultradiluted).

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thank you, Dr Jeff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!