Logo

drjeff1

High triglycerides, alkaline urine – what to do?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a lab, who like many labs, loves to eat. He has become the local looter in my household after the recent move. He has gained 20 lbs in 10 weeks! Now his triglycerides are up and his urine alkali, and he has some elevated magnesium with a few crystals in his urine.
    The vet wishes to put him on Hill’s WD diet. I have not had luck with Hill’s diets and would rather make something at home for him, or try something different.
    What can I do?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Suzana]
    What can I do?[/quote]

Good morning Suzana-

Welcome to the forum!

Your overeating, weight-gaining Lab may not need a “prescription” diet or drugs for his biochemical and urine abnormalities.

If you are feeding dry food, that’s the first thing you need to stop. The fillers and carbs in dry foods do not promote optimal health, add to weight gain and are, IMHO , an inappropriate food for any breed predisposed to bloat (as Labs are).

Next, it sounds like your dog has free run of the neighborhood? If that is indeed the case, that will also need to be strictly curtailed. There is no other way to keep him from getting into your neighbor’s garbage (aka special treats).

Start him on an omega-3 supplement (I use the Now fish oil capsules). This will increase his metabolism and help drive down the elevated triglycerides.

I also advise having his thyroid checked as the rapid weight gain and elevated fat in the serum can result from hypothyroidism.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!