Logo

drjeff1

Help with supplements

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi, Could you please tell me what supplements you recommend for a 12 year old cat with fiv?

Thanks a lot.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Great question. Every individual needs to be treated differently based on the [url=https://www.homevet.com/component/k2/item/483]common but not normal[/url] symptoms. In general though, immune modulators (not stimulants) like the methyl donors [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=185&category_id=11&keyword=same]SAMe[/url] and [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=26&category_id=11&keyword=dmg]DMG[/url] are a good start. Of course optimal diet, exercise and mental stimulation are very important as well. I also advise homeopathic care (even without overt symptoms) for these patients.

This [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-library/item/389-what-can-i-do-if-my-cat-has-a-serious-viral-infection?]article[/url] might help further.

Close monitoring by you and your vet is essential in cats with FIV.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, I’ve already got him on DMG, he’s got gingivitis, I was reading online about giving Transfer Factor Tri Plus the human one? and also GlucaMune?

Thanks

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Colostrum (transfer factor) and beta glucans (Glucamune) would indeed be great choices to add. Consider also topical gum support with Biotene gel and even better is Biotene mixed with Neem bark (which is also an immune modulator).

Don’t forget general nutrition (what does he eat?).

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply,

which Transfer Factor do you recommend the Tri Plus or the Classic?
    I’ve been reading this about the Plus one

“I have a tip about Transfer factor: Use the “Classic”, instead of the “Plus”. The Classic works as a Immune System Modulator, and the Plus increases the immune system too much, and if he has allergies, or gingivitis or stomatitis, common issues in cats with FIV, you can aggravate the problem. You do not want to stimulate the immune system – you want to modulate it. Meaning, you want to optimize it according to the body’s need – up or down…”

I also have him on interferon orally.

He also have liver problems, ALT 179 which he is taking Denosyl.

He’s just started eating natural canned food with no preservatives in, he won’t eat raw.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

I don’t us these colstrum products as The IgG 2000 from Xymogen (available mainly by Rx)is a much bigger bang for your buck.

Consider adding specific liver support like [url=https://www.homevet.com/pet-care-products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=77&category_id=11&keyword=hepato]Hepato Support. For SAMe, I use the SAMe caps from Designs For Health.

Anonymous

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, Could you please tell me how big the Hepato Support tablets are on your site? Also I’ve seen you can get liquid formula on your site, but has this got a bad taste or anything at all?

Also whats the maximum amount of SAMe a cat can have? I’ve been using Denosyl 90MG.

Thanks

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Sorry for the slow reply (too many sick animals out there I guess).

Please send specific web store questions directly through the contact form at the web store.

In general, 90-125 mg SAMe is fine (I often use 1/2 cap).

Also, please realize that supplements are not the same as homeopathy. Take a look at the [url=https://www.homevet.com/how-homeopathy-can-help]homeopathy FAQ [/url]for clarification.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, I’ve purchased the Hepato Support from your site in both formula’s to try anyway.

Looking back on your post you put ” immune modulators (not stimulants)”

Could you tell me whats the difference between the 2?

I read on another forum that Immune System Modulator’s are better then boosters, as boosters can increase the immune system too much and also aggravate FIV cats with gingivitis?

Thanks

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Exactly! Modulators help normalize immune function whereas stimulants act to increase it (which is not always ideal in FIV).

Another example is allergic disease where immune function is already over responsive and external triggers (like foods and pollens) can cause problems. It is best to modulate and not boost the immune systems of these patients.

My favorite method for immune stimulation is through homeopathy. With these treatments the wisdom of the body is best harnessed (IMO).

Be well.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Homeopathic Treatment’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Do you have a sick animal?

If so take a moment and head over to Holistic Actions where you will:

Feel more confident making HOLISTIC MEDICAL DECISIONS

Focus on PREVENTION and avoid un-needed and expensive diagnostics and treatments

Enhance your pets QUALITY OF LIFE and HAPPINESS

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!
I'm sending my prayers and best wishes to everyone throughout the world that has been affected by this historic pandemic. My hope is for a better balance of the world and greater empowerment for all as soon as possible. Here are 4 actions that can be used today to improve immune resistance to any virus or bacteria:

1. Go on a "sniff walk” with your pet and breathe fresh air deeply for at least 30 minutes/day.

2. Eat darkly colored fresh vegetables and fruit such as wild blueberries and kale.

3. Do at least 50 HA! breaths just say ha loudly) daily. These forceful expulsions of air help maintain good lung function and can help you detect respiratory problems early. Laughter, coughing and Kapalabhati breathing (from yoga) are three other easy ways to do this.

4. Experience positive emotions, like the sense of awe, when we witness the renewal of nature. Stay safe, Vital and healthy”

Holistic Actions! membership includes a free monthly 15 minute consultation to discuss your Holistic Medical Decision Making. To discuss other Holistic Actions!, and to learn more about the Vitality and Balance System which describes how they work on a molecular level, just register as a Gold member at www.holisticactions.com/membership and schedule time to talk.

Stay safe, Vital and healthy,

Dr. Jeff