Logo

drjeff1

Help with loss of dog

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I recently had to put my german shepard to sleep because she had mangio sarcoma (sp?) which spread to her lungs. She was only 8 years old, so we are having a hard time dealing with our loss. But I think my younger german shepard who will be 2 in January is handling it worse. Any suggestions on how to help her along and get her through this depression would be greatly appreciated.

matt

Anonymous

When it comes to grieving, I think dogs are just like human, they do have emotions, they do feel and therefore, they do grieve the loss. I believe with plenty of TLC to your young dog, she will go through the grieving process and in time, she’ll be “fine”.

All the best,
    Teresa.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=navyska]Any suggestions on how to help her along and get her through this depression would be greatly appreciated.
    [/quote]

Good morning Matt-

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dog. Hemangiosarcoma can be a devastating disease which can come on fast and spread extremely rapidly.

Your younger dog is definitely going through a common (and normal) grieving process. I agree 100% with Teresa that this process is similar to what goes on in people. By giving your younger dog plenty of TLC, getting her outside for exercise and especially playing/interacting with other dogs you will help her a lot.

In addition, there are Bach Flower essences which you can buy in the health food store (for people) which will provide even more emotional support. Star of Bethlehem and Rescue Remedy are the essences which I would try first. Dr. Jean Hofve’s excellent guide at [url]http://www.critterchat.net/bach.htm[/url] will help guide you in using them properly.

If your dog is still having a problem in 3-4 weeks then I would recommend consulting a veterinary homeopath. When grief in a dog persists this long it should be dealt with by using well indicated homeopathic remedies (which the homeopath will prescribe).

Good luck during this difficult time. In this situation, tincture of time is often the best medicine.

Feel free to contact me if I can help in any way.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!