Logo

drjeff1

HELP!!! What Should I Feed….

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

my Husky and Shepard-mix dogs?

I am raising my “grandchildren”, who I love dearly. (Unfortunately, our son passed away after rescuing both of his darlings from the shelter, where he worked).

The husky is approximately 9 years old. In general good health, however, has arthristis in her hips (moreso in one and vet thinks she may have been hit by a car or hit (before coming to the shelter)). She also recently suffered with what the vet said was a hot spot. We treated her with cream and it cleared up, however, the skin where the spot was turned black. Hair started growing there, except all around the spot, the hair is only just beginning to grow back and now skin looks scaly. Vet is not sure what it is and is planning on doing a biopsy. Also recently suffered with cysts between her toes… treated that for months with no luck and then vet did a blood test and found out she had Lyme disease. Treated her with doxycycline for 30 days and cysts between toes cleared up.

The shepard mix is approximately 5-6 years old. My son got him when he was about 1 1/2 years old. He has been healthy, however, about six months ago developed lesions on the inside of one of his nostrils and a biopsy confirmed discoid lupus. Vet had me treat it with Synotic, which seemed to help at first… now, it is getting worse.

I am currently feeding them a holistic, organic kibble (can’t remember the name) and then mix that with cooked chicken or beef. They are very picky eaters and I am at my wits end trying to find something that they will eat. I do sometimes give them boiled chicken livers, etc., which they like. It seems they will eat all of the meat in their bowl and leave all of the kibble.

Also, I am not sure how healthy they are for them but they love these new treats I got them… look like little pieces of steak… I think they are made by the nylabone company.

I did try to start a raw diet last year, but after the second day, they didn’t seem to like it… I would love any advice about what to feed, i.e, kibble or pre-made, nutritional food that is good for them. Thanks and I look forward to your advice.

Carol

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=CFox759211] I would love any advice about what to feed, [/quote]

Please read the detailed information in the diet section of my natural pet care library [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/pet_natural.html[/url] . Also take a look at [url]https://www.homevet.com/osc/index.php?cPath=8&osCsid=f7cbb0e841ebcbb52c633659c02c8f17[/url].

In general, fresh is best so feed the freshest food that you have available and can afford. Feed a variety of different foods in moderation. Organic is best (just like we should be eating).

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Hi, my problem lies elsewhere, my dog is very cooperative and it is not such a big issue at all when it comes to make him eat. But he looks to me is always fond of eating and thus devours anything that he feels he can eat. This can always land him into trouble as he is also interested in the insects which can be dangerous, how do I make it overcome from this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!