Logo

drjeff1

HELP: Skin Issue with 1 year old Jack Russel

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi there, I just stumbled on this great forum when searching the net for information about spots that we are seeing on our puppy.

I have been noticing very slight bald spots here and there under the darker part of his coat but it caused him no irritation and there were very few so I thought that there was no reason for concern.

Over the last few of days, I have seen the spots begin to increase in number and has started to develop some spots that are actually raised bumps and 2-3 that have actually bled when he scratched them. He does itch them but they seem to cause him no pain or other irritation. Just wondering if there is something simple that could be done to releive this issue as it is really concerning me and pending answer here, we will have him at the vet early this week.

In the same general timeline of the spots developing, we have switched/blended his food (from puppy Wellness brand to another very healthy/organic adult brand) we also did find 3 fleas on him after a day at a friends place playing with a couple of mainly outdoor/country black labs. We bathed him extensively and haven’t seen another flea in a couple of weeks. I’m wondering if maybe this could be an allergic reaction to either 1) a couple of flea bites or 2) something in this new food (although it is very similar ingredient-wise to what he initially had). Would it be a good idea to maybe switch back to the adult version of the same brand of food (Wellness) that we started him on? If the food is the issue, will switching just fix the problem naturally or do the current spots need to be treated somehow??

Thanks so much for any advice/help. -BJ

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Antz_Marchin]do the current spots need to be treated somehow?[/quote]

In general, just treating local lesions is not a good idea (this can be highly suppressive and worsen the underlying condition). You are correct to think that this might be diet and or “allergy” related.

Talk to your vet about fresh food feeding and proper holistic care to insure your pup a long and happy life.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!