Logo

drjeff1

Help my Dravyn!!!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[b] 🙁 Hi there! Dravyn (my baby) is a dsh brown tabby neutered male. I have been having such a hard time with him. He will be 8 April 12th. Up until 1 month ago…he was fine. I had adopted a dlh applehead siamese spayed/current shots female (1 year old). He and Jewel get along fine. The problem is he started losing weight. At 17 lbs a month ago…he got down to 11 lbs prior to finding out he had worms and coccedea. Both cats have been treated for both. He does have flea allergy dermatitis, which I treat monthly with Frontline Plus, and he gets a steroid shot every 3 to 4 months. The problem is that he is down to 10.5 lbs now. He is eating better and drinking better. His bathroom habits are good. I just wanted to know if there is something that I should be feeding him that will help him maintain his ideal 12/13 lbs which he is supposed to weigh for his size and structure. Will he slowly gain his weight back? He had blood tests ran a complete metabolic panel, and everything came back great. But, his fur has an oily hue to it. I bathed him in hypoallergenic babywash. For 2 days his fur was normal, now it is oily looking again…..but, it doesn’t feel oily. What is wrong? I have no children, and he is like my child. I am worried to death. Please help me. Anyone else ever had this problem or at least heard of someone who has?? Please anyone….help me and my Dravy baby.[/b]

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=dravynsmama]At 17 lbs a month ago…he got down to 11 lbs prior to finding out he had worms and coccedea.
    I treat monthly with Frontline Plus, and he gets a steroid shot every 3 to 4 months. The problem is that he is down to 10.5 lbs now.
    if there is something that I should be feeding him that will help him maintain his ideal 12/13 lbs][/quote]

First of all, that’s a *huge* weight loss (30% in 1 month?). Second, you may want to look at lifestyle issues causing many/all of the problems. What do you feed? Are they on an adequate species-appropriate diet and not dry cat food? Do you have so many fleas that monthly Frontline, even in the winter, is necessary?

I also think you should reevaluate the frequent steroid injections. It is better to identify and treat the underlying disease resulting in the dermatitis rather than just suppress the symptoms with powerful antiinflammatories when the symptoms flare-up

So start witth a diet upgrade and talk to your vet about holistically evaluating the weight loss issue.

Good luck and please let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!