Logo

drjeff1

Help for eclampsia

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

A friend’s 7-year old JRT, raw fed for years and vibrantly healthy, recently produced her first litter, an amazing eight pups, two girls and six males. This is a HUGE litter for a Jack, not to mention a first pregnancy, and she has done very well. But as the pups passed three weeks, she developed eclampsia, which was caught in time and treated by calcium IVs.

My question is, firstly, what diet and homeopathic preparation might have forestalled this, what remedies at this point could be considered to stabilize her blood levels – and, at this point, is it always necessary to stop nursing and let the bitch dry up?

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences.

Ginny

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Great questions, as usual, Ginny. Unfortunately I can only give some general answers and ask more questions in this situation.

It is highly likely that the metabolic calcium demand of lactation is just overwhelming this new mom’s system (and acting as an obstacle to homeopathic treatment). Is this her first litter? Has she had problems before? How much milk is she producing?

What diet was she eating during gestation and when first nursing? Was calcium being supplemented? What were her specific symptoms of eclampsia, and were there any warning signs?

I hope that she is doing better at this time. The good news is that the pups are almost able to be weaned (tho I do advise a longer period of nursing when possible).

Lots of questions…

Be well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!