Logo

drjeff1

Hairballs

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My 6 year old cat has very fine fur that gives her hairballs. Even though I brush her daily, she tends to become constipated with small hard stools and frequently coughs and sometimes vomits her food. Her vet reccommended Petromalt, but it doesn’t seem to help much. I feed her moist and dry food alternately. Is there any type of different food or supplement I can give her for this problem? What about mixing in cooked brocoli for fiber or trying some yogurt with live cultures?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=Neo] Is there any type of different food or supplement I can give her for this problem[/quote]

Good morning Neo-

There is no question that a proper diet (fresh, not commercial processed, food) can help with this problem. If you read the diet and nutrition messages and other diet info in my info library you will get lots of specific recommendations about that.

In general, I greatly prefer the Vet Basis lubricating product for both hairballs and constipation. It is full of supplements and is more effective than Petromalt or Laxatone in my experience. In addition adding a pinch of Metamucil or other fiber to the diet can help normalize the amount of water that remains in the colon during stool production and thus help constipation.

If you would like more specific diet help after reading the diet info I mentioned, feel free to post in that folder.

See Vet Basis info at: [url]http://www.vetbasis.com/hairball.htm[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!