Logo

drjeff1

Foster dog sneezing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,
    We just had a chihuahua mix brought to us to foster so the group can make room for Katrina dogs. He seems healthy overall and has been recently vaccinated and neutered. However, when he was brought over today, he is sneezing quite a bit, along with some snorting, and his breathing is kind of gurgly. I’m not sure what this is, as I haven’t had any experience with dogs with “colds”. He doesn’t seem to be coughing, so I don’t think it’s kennel cough. Is it an URTI? The rescue rep said it’s not Bordetella because she knows what that sounds like, and this isn’t it. More than anything, I’m just concerned with my two permanent dogs getting ill–they’re both vaccinated and healthy, and I just want to mkae sure they’re not going to get ill as a result of this. Any advice, answers…anything will greatly help!
    Thanks,
    Jessica

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=jebel321]Is it an URTI?

I’m just concerned with my two permanent dogs getting ill–they’re both vaccinated and healthy,[/quote]

Hi Jessica-

Yes, this does sound like an URTI. Just like any cold it was probably exacerbated by stress, e.g. of being homeless, vaccinated and having surgery all at once. Keep his nose clear of discharge as best you can and keep up an excellent level of nutrition. Use antioxidants like Nu-Pet wafers, herbs as in Immunotone (Echinacea, Astragalus, etc.) maitake extract, vitamins C, E and beta carotene if they are available to you.

Your dogs should be relatively resistant to this opportunistic “infection” as long as they indeed are healthy with a strong vitality. Make sure that they are also eating an optimum meat-based fresh food diet. They would also benefit from some of the immune boosting supplements which I mentioned above.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!