Logo

drjeff1

Food Allergies/Atopic Dermatitis

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

Good Morning,
    My beagle has been itching alot and this has happened before, she seems to be allergic to not only fleas but now im thinking its food as well. Upon researching commercial pet foods, atopic dermatitis and anything else i could read, iv decided to try her on a home made, human grade food regime. She has been itching her stomach, feet and scratching her ears and face. I do have her on frontline plus and interceptor as well. I dont like giving her the frontline but the fleas send her to the vet if she gets bit. Iv started her on fresh chicken (boiled) with pasta and carrots or green beans all mixed up and sprinkled with a small amt of garlic powder and as variety Iv also given her ground turkey, cooked with potatoes and carrots, along with a multi vitamin each day. Is this a nutritionally sound diet for her? Is this something she can stay on? Organic, human grade pet food is expensive!!

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

You may want to check out this supplement that I know will help with the flea allergy.

Body Guard
    [url]http://www.protec-pet-health.com/body_guard.htm[/url]

If your dog continues to itch feeding your cooked chicken, it may be allergic to chicken or poultry. Seen plenty of that with commercial food.

One of the best commercial lamb/rice only foods is CALIFORNIA NATURAL made by Natura Pet Food
    [url]http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab[/url]

Anonymous

I have one of my dogs on home cooked food. He has been on it for about three years now and he is doing really good on it. I also give all my dogs linatone acid in their food.

Tony Scott
    Keymaster

My family was going crazy trying to solve our pets problems. We have two dogs — one a small Sheltie mix and a Chocolate Lab. Both dogs were diagnosed with “flea allergies” and the Lab was absolutley miserable….the vet said she was probably allergic to more than just fleas and wanted to run a bunch of expensive tests . . she had huge sores all over her body where she had scratched her skin raw. The Sheltie was generally itchy, scaley skin with no energy and had a severe rash on her underbelly.

I found several articles about fillers and processed foods in regular commercial dog food and I was thinking we would have to start making “home-made” dog food, when somebody told me about a product called Nzymes…the difference has been amazing.. Within two weeks, both dogs improved dramatically. They have now been on the product for two months, and the Sheltie’s hair (which had thinned considerably) is now thick and beautiful again, her rash is completely gone, and she has her energy back (she is 10 years old). The Lab hardly itches at all, her coat is shiny and beautiful, and the sores have completely healed. We live in the country where it is a constant battle with fleas (no…we don’t use any chemical flea powders, collars, etc….just bathe them once a week, so I’m sure they do get bitten by the occasional flea).

We now feed them ONLY Eagle Pak dog food (which is made with NO fillers)…It does cost a little more than regular dog food, but is a lot cheaper than making the food yourself. It can usually be found at most pet stores (if not, they can probably order for you).

You can get the Nzymes at [url]www.Nzymes.com[/url]. I know this has saved us many $$ in vet bills and our pets are so much healthier. Hope this is helps somebody else.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

A home cooked diet is a great idea, as is an enzyme supplement.
    Start off though with one or two ingredients, such as chicken (or better yet something novel like rabbit). If you find a protein source that doesn’t create a negative reaction, then add another ingredient such as a vegetable or rice (which is non-gluten and often works for dogs with grain allergies).
    You can also eliminate grain altogether. Remember that pasta is made from grain, such as wheat, and eggs. Both of which can be allergenic to some dogs.

So by starting simple and adding one thing at a time you can establish a diet with a variety of ingredients. Eventually add a calcium supplement (such as eggshell) but add it like you would an ingredient and wait to see if there is a reaction. There are several forms of calcium to supplement with so if one doesn’t work another may. Half a teaspoon of ground eggshell per pound of boneless meat is a very general rule of thumb, but you can make it more specific according to other factors. There are many wonderful sites and books on devising a long term simple balanced diet.

Dogs with food allergies can react to the intact food particles that permeate the intestinal wall into the blood stream. So if they are not broken down first, the body reacts by attacking them. So a digestive enzyme supplement can be very helpful. Add it to each and every meal.
    You may want to look for a plant based one as some include pork pancreas ingredients and other things such a bovine (cow) gelatin in the outer capsule. Those can cause food based allergic reactions also.
    I’ve had good results with several brands. If you see FCC next to the enzyme units on the back label that a very good sign as it means that the activity level of each enzyme (with the FCC next to it) has been tested to show the actual activity level and that it is effective.

I like Martin Zucker’s book, Natural Remedies from the Nation’s Top Holistic vets. It has very simple diet plans for dogs with allergies and simple basic advice and pearls of wisdom from a variety of top vets.
    Dr. Strombecks book is excellent also on homecooked diets for dogs and cats. It’s more in depth and the info is so helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!