Logo

drjeff1

Finicky eater

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Does anyone have any suggestions about making my dog want to eat? I put down her bowl the same time every night, give her a variety of different foods but she just looks at it and doesn’t bother unless I hand feed her. If I just leave her alone she will go days without eating. Considering she runs / walks 3-4 miles a day with me, you would think she would be hungry. I know she gets hungry but what do I do????

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=sdgore]Does anyone have any suggestions about making my dog want to eat? I put down her bowl the same time every night, give her a variety of different foods but she just looks at it and doesn’t bother unless I hand feed her. [/quote]

This problem is almost always a combination of the kind of food you are feeding and her level of hunger (or lack thereof).

Most importantly, what kind of foods are you feeding? Dry, canned, fresh? Will she eat fresh food like chicken, beef or fish? What is her breed and age? Does she have any previous medical problems?

Let us know the answers and we’ll work on getting her eating better.

Anonymous

Hi
    “Serra” was found in a dumpster as a puppy and is about 75% pit bull 25% ??? Most people think she is a pure breed, possibly the runt of the litter of a fighting family. (We live on an island in the Caribbean and “dog fighting” is common although somewhat illegal). She is 2 1/2 and we usually feed her a mix of dry & wet pedigree or alpo (that’s all that is sold here). We do feed her chicken & rice, mince, veg. occasionally, esp. when she hasn’t eaten in awhile. Maybe we should have never given her “people food”????

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=sdgore]We do feed her chicken & rice, mince, veg. occasionally, esp. when she hasn’t eaten in awhile. [/quote]

I bet she likes the fresh food. The reason of course is that it is so much better for her than the highly processed grain-filled commercial dog foods.

My thinking is that she should be eating more “people food”, not less. Eggs, meats, cottage cheese, etc. (basically any good food that you have in the house) will be better for her than the foods which are available in your area.

Read some of the diet info in my info library and you will definitely get lots of ideas.

Anonymous

It is my opinion, I think this is a behavior issue. Once you find food she likes to eat, then stick with it. DON’T change. Being consistant, using the 10 minutes to eat rule then it goes away till the next meal. Don’t leave it down all day. NO between meal snacks. And adding a powederd supplement to enhance nutritional value and taste helps too. Check out my favorite supplement. Vibrant Pets formulas. [url]http://www.vibrantpets.net[/url]

Treat this like a training issue. YOU must be firm and not cave in. Your dog will NOT starve. She is just waiting for you to change to her ways of feeding so she can win this game. This is the first issue of being in change of your dog.

Anonymous

Has she been checked out for any parasites? How she with her boul movements? Sometimes it can be a health issue that is causing her not to eat. Or she might be getting a upset stomach from her food that she is eating.

Anonymous

[B][i][color=”Blue”]I have a seven pound, 8 month old Italian Greyhound, who is the love of my life, but is very very finicky………….I have to cook her chicken filets and she eats one for breakfast and one for dinner. I chop it up and put it onto her dry dog food. I add a little brown rice too……….she meticulously eats the chicken and leaves everything else…………sometimes she will eat a few kibbles late at night when I hand feed her them………..I’m worried that she is not getting enough nutrients……..Can anyone help??[/color][/i][/B:) ]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!