Logo

drjeff1

Feline Infectious Peritonitis

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

😥 I just rescued a stray cat, Neji, that probably has FIP. He’s the sweetest thing; he doesn’t act ill, but our conventional vet thinks that his blindness, swollen abdomen, lethargy and emaciated appearance are most likely due to FIP.

I’ve had him since last Wednesday, and I guess I’m reaching out because I want to know what to expect w/r/t his disease and ultimately his death. I have another rescued stray kitty, Scout (I keep them completely isolated from each other), who is young, hale and happy — I’ve never had to deal with the (impending or otherwise) death of a animal companion.

Neji has been eating a TON of food, and everyday he looks better and better. He comes to me purring when he hears my voice, and I feel so privileged to be trusted and loved by this poor creature who has had a VERY rough life; he was declawed and neutered by someone else earlier in his life, but I think he’s been living outdoors for quite some time. He is missing teeth and has a broken tooth and bears wounds on his face most likely from fights.

Have any of you had any experience with FIP? What did you do to make your cat happy and comfortable? Will Neji suffer?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=BethCA66]What did you do to make your cat happy and comfortable? Will Neji suffer?[/quote]

First of all Beth, I applaud you for helping these stray cats. Neji has probably never been so loved and happy.

Why does your vet suspect FIP? Does Neji have high Corona virus titers and elevated blood globulins? Are there granulomas on his retinas? Is there fluid in his belly?

Emaciation along with a big belly is typical of malnourishment (it’s called marasmus) and not necessarily FIP.

If he does “have” FIP and is assymptomatic then he could live with it for a long time. Once he becomes symptomatic he could succumb within days.

Your best bet is to start holistic care immediately. This will help him in many ways including easing his transition when that time comes. Ideally, work with an experienced vet homeopath (in addition to optimizing his diet, giving appropriate supplements and staying away from vaccines/drugs).

Good luck. Please keep us informed.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Well, I’m at a loss right now — on Saturday I was told by a vet who hadn’t examined Neji, but had interpreted his blood work, that he might have FIP. Then today, I spoke to our regular vet who told me that his Corona titer is negative 😀 , but it could be a false negative considering his blindness, distended abdomen, etc. 🙁 So, as things stand now, I’m taking him back for a recheck next week (he’s a bit anemic), and we’ll see where to go from there. He’ll probably have an ultrasound in the near future. I mentioned marasmus to our vet, and he thinks he’s not emaciated enough, but I thought that was a possibility when I first saw him.

Otherwise, he’s doing better everyday. He’s even becoming slightly playful, giving my hands “love bites” when I pet him.

Thanks for all of your help and support.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=BethCA66] I mentioned marasmus to our vet, and he thinks he’s not emaciated enough, .[/quote]

Then if he really does have fluid in his belly, a Corona virus PCR on the fluid would be as close to definitive as you can get (without biopsy).

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!