Logo

drjeff1

Feeding raw food frozen ?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,I’m hearing about many rawfeeding folk these days feeding their dogs food whilst still frozen and have heard of instances where a dog has suffered torsion/bloat and the only different factor was that it had eaten frozen food or ice – do you think there would be a risk of this causing it because of temperature changes causing muscle spasming or chemical changes as those who feed frozen think it is no different to a wolf eating snow or frozen food in winter-time but I view the domestic dog as a manmade species, not equal to wolves in many ways because of differences bred in to make different breeds and problems that can create, and genetic weakness inbred and passed down from poor breeding habits/unsuitable diet/allopathic medicene and especially vaccines and it concerns me that it may raise the risk – Dr Jeff has advised me that some on here might have some useful information on this – if any know of any studies or links about this I would really appreciate it also, many thanks, Julie

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for posting Julie. When I was feeding Vanya (my SP which is one of the breeds predisposed to bloat) I was thinking further about your question.

Still no published research response, but I forgot to mention an important factor where the temp. of the food may play a bigger role.

I was feeding V a partially frozen raw meat dinner. However, she is a relatively delicate and slow eater. There is enough contact with her tissues and warm secretions that I’m not too concerned about the cold food. If however she was a gulper, I’d be more worried.

I just add this additional thought. Hopefully others will also reply (and I’ll keep looking).

Anonymous

Thanks Dr Jeff,
    This is one of the reasons people are actually ‘advising’ others new to rawfeeding to feed it frozen, to slow down eating…

Anonymous

I think the key to safely feeding frozen is to encourage what Dr. Jeff describes: some way of being sure the dog eats more slowly, and doesn’t swallow huge pieces. Feeding a huge chunk that takes working away at the edges is one way to do this if you have a gulper. Also, of course, security in both physical and mental aspects encourages slower eating. If we look at wolf behavior, of course a pack situation may encourage rapid eating, as may the proximity of competitors from other species. But, in most cases, well, an unfrozen meal is a recent kill, and not a stashed one or an opportunistic find, and so eating quickly, even past satiation, should be no issue. It seems also that slower eating stimulates more secretion of stomach acids to prepare for digestion. On the other hand, since wolves commonly stuff themselves and return food for the pups, there is a mechanism which allows for this without apparent danger of bloat.

I think it is entirely possible that the sometimes unnatural morphology created by managed breeding, coupled with chronic disease influences, could have unintended consequences, and so, were I at all concerned about the possibility of bloat I would take some precautions about amounts and shapes of food presented, considering the dog’s habits and any known propensities for bloat in the breed, family, or individual. I have heard of bloat in all sorts of circumstances, exercise, no exercise, rest, no rest, eating high, eating on the ground… I have no personal experience with it, and would just be absolutely sure that health and habits are as good as one can make them, especially if you have one of the prone breeds. There is more to learn here, it seems.

ginny

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!