Logo

drjeff1

excessive shedding from lice

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,
    I was the one who adopted the puppy with the lice (and worms) from a pet rescue. His worms have cleared up and his lice seems to be under control since the Frontline Plus was used however, he still has tons of nits that I don’t know how to get rid of!! He is also still scratching and biting at himself, causing large patches of fur to come out. He is still so skinny and his ribs are showing. He really looks so pathetic!!!

I don’t know what to do for him. Do I shave him down to his skin to help get rid of the nits faster and his patches?? Also, how do I fatten him up so he’ll look more like a puppy instead of a scrawny little thing??!!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=bella]
    I don’t know what to do for him. Do I shave him down to his skin to help get rid of the nits faster and his patches?? Also, how do I fatten him up so he’ll look more like a puppy instead of a scrawny little thing??!![/quote]

Any good puppy shampoo with pyrethrins will do the trick. As I mentioned previously, you will have to shampoo a few times (1 week apart) to get rid of all of the lice. Shaving will help but is probably not necessary.

Regarding diet, you should be feeding frequent fresh meat-based food. To help fatten him up feed at least 4 times a day as much as he will eat in 5 minutes.

Have you had a stool sample checked to make sure that he doesn’t have internal parasites?

Anonymous

Thanks for quick response!!

What do you mean when you say shampoo with pyrethrins???? Are you talking about a medicated shampoo? Can you recommend a specific brand that’s available at a pet store? I thought I couldn’t/shouldn’t use medicated shampoo while he’s on the Frontline Plus since that’s medication, too?? I have given him a couple of baths, but it was an oatmeal shampoo for dry skin. It’s called Epi-Soothe and it’s soap-free. It’s claims to control mild itch but it isn’t really working that good. Between the scratching and the biting, he actually has some bald spots besides the verrrrrry thin spots. I’m worried his hair won’t all grow back!! I wasn’t sure if a medicated shampoo would be too much for his skin along with the Frontline? How much longer do you think it will take for my baby to be nit free? He’s been on Frontline since slightly over 2 weeks.

Yes, he did have worms and diarrhea and the vet gave him a dewormer pill. His stool has firmed up and about a week later, I brought in a stool sample which tested negative.

When you say “fresh meat-based food,” I assume you are talking about canned?? I fed him a couple of cans of food that I bought at the vet’s that was mixed in with dry dog food to help get his digestion back in order. He finished that a couple of days ago, so now he’s on just dry food. To be honest, I’m enjoying picking up firmer stool than mushy stuff. I’m trying to get him to eat about 1 1/2 cups, but the most he’s eated is about 1 1/4 cup. I thought maybe if I give him table scraps mixed in with his food, it would fatten him up however, I have another dog and his weight is perfect. I don’t want to favor one dog over the other. Do you think if I just keep giving him as much dry as he’ll take and maybe lots of treats, he’ll fatten up ok?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=bella] I thought I couldn’t/shouldn’t use medicated shampoo while he’s on the Frontline

How much longer do you think it will take for my baby to be nit free? He’s been on Frontline since slightly over 2 weeks.

When you say “fresh meat-based food,” I assume you are talking about canned?? [/quote]

You are correct. He does’t need any other toxic chemical exposure since you’ve already used to Frontline. In general, mild pyrethrin puppy shampoos are all you need to control lice. Any good mild moisturizing shampoo is fine at this time. In my practice I use Vet Solutions and HyLyt shampoos for this purpose.

The eggs should be hatching and killed in the next week or two, so I would shampoo again at that time.

Fresh food=unprocessed food. That does not include dry dog food or canned (or McDonalds or Burger King, or…). The easiest way to do this **for both dogs** is to mix in your food with a high quality kibble/canned. The best way is to forgo the commercial, processed food and use just fresh food.

There’s a great DVD that gives specific examples and has a nice interview with Dr. Pitcairn (who wrote the original holistic pet care guide which just came out with a new edition). You can also read the diet resources and messages on my site for much more info.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!