Logo

drjeff1

Excessive Dog Drooling

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Our dog is a 12 year old mixed breed. She is 50 pounds and that is appropriate for her size. It was a beautiful day today and about 32 degrees outside so I took her for a mile walk down and back up the road. She set a good walking speed so we made the complete trip in a little over 18 minutes which is a fast walking pace. She walks normally and did not seem distressed. Shortly after we arrived home she began to drool excessively. After about 2 hours it stopped. While she was drooling she was also coughing intermittently and without much force. The coughing seemed like the same congestive heart failure symptoms that our other dog had when she was older. Her gums and mouth look healthy. I suspect that she was just worn out because she has been very sedentary during the past few months of cold, fall and winter weather. What do you think? Is there a good exercise schedule that a dog should follow in the winter months?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=SammietheDog]What do you think? Is there a good exercise schedule that a dog should follow in the winter months?[/quote]

I usually allow whatever exercise the dog will tolerate (as long as there is no physical reason to minimize exercise). In the hot weather this might be minimal, but on a beautiful cool day there should not be a problem.

That being said, the drooling and coughing after exercise make me suspicious of heart problems. If a thorough cardiac exam by your vet is OK then I would consult a veterinary homeopath for early homeopathic treatment. This will help prevent further problems as she ages.

Dr. Jeff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!