Logo

drjeff1

Excessive crying.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dr. Jeff Feinman 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi! I’m Elisha and I’m 24. I got Bandit from a no-kill privately funded animal shelter about a month ago. He’s an 8 month old Australian Shepherd mix. However, I am having a couple of problems.

He has been dewormed, neutered and also has received treatment for mange and giardia. His mange is slowly getting better and his giardia cleared up after I got him some antibiotics.

However, he cries constantly. When I leave him, he literally screams. I sat outside the apartment once and he barked and cried VERY loudly for 10 minutes before I got tired of waiting to see when he would stop and I drove off. He cries when I am in the shower or just around the corner and he can’t see me. He’ll even cry when he’s laying on the floor in the kitchen and I am doing something and not paying attention to him. I don’t understand- I really think he has seperation anxiety, which I am trying to break him of, but it’s just not working. Is something wrong with him? Do dogs that normally experience seperation anxiety cry even when their humans are near them but not necessarily paying attention to them? I want to help him relax, but he’s always so stressed out and crying and it’s starting to wear on me just as much as it bothers him.

He is crate trained. He obeys wonderfully. I say “crate” and he goes into his crate. I say “up” and he jumps in the car. I try to take him with me to as many places as possible and also my sister lives with me, so he usually has someone with him. On occasion he is home alone for 6 to 8 hours if my sister and I are both working.

Please help me if you can. Thank you so much!

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=elishamarie]he cries constantly. When I leave him, he literally screams.
    t he’s always so stressed out and crying

Please help me if you can.[/quote]

Happy 4th Elisha!

There is a lot that you can do to help this problem. Did it start immediately after you adopted him? What do you feed? Have you worked with a trainer? Does he get any mental stimulation?

I will leave it to Mike to give you more tips from a dog training point of view. In the meantime start by reading this article [url]https://www.homevet.com/petcare/dogthink.html[/url]

You should also immediately start some training and/or agility work with him to help vent some of his pent up energy (which he’s currently putting into crying). Also, buy a Kong toy that you can fill with peanut butter and leave with him when you are gone. Have you ever given him any raw marrow bones?

Rescue Remedy will help take some of the edge off (buy it in a human health food store and give a few drops in his mouth before you leave). You may also want to try the Dog Appeasing Pheremone (DAP) when you are gone (plug it into an outlet near his crate).

All that being said, there may also be an internal emotional problem that can only be properly addressed with homeopathy. I would definitely work with both a professional trainer and vet homeopath to help this problem (for both you, your neighbors and your dog).

Good luck.

Anonymous

Elisha,

I would highly recommend the info Dr. Jeff suggested.

I think you found out why Bandit was in the shelter. If it becomes to difficult to manage and the dog becomes to distructive from the anxiety most owners can not keep dogs like this. I would return him back to the shelter. You deserve a dog with normal behavior. Managing a dog with any kind of Seperation Anxiety is an up hill battle and a full time job.

Seperation Anxiety is not a condition a dog get over. It is NOT a disease and taking some meds and it’s gone. It is a difficult behavior condition you must learn to manage and it may get better. Hopefully it does get better over time with proper management but the reality is many dogs do not. If the problem is just his noise and not total distruction of your apartment then you have it much better than some owners.

There is a ton of info available on the Internet for Canine Seperation Anxiety or Seperation Anxiety in dogs. Search and get as much education about the subject as you can. I would work with a local trainer for help too.

Maybe learning “clicker training” to help stop the whining”. I think this is the easiest problem to get under control first.

Dr. P’s dog training site has a great library of info toohttp://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/dog.htm.

One of the first and most important issues is EXERCISE. Not walks around the block on a leash. This dog, if under control off leash needs to flat out run, play fetch, frisbee, any activity that will give him the daily exercise he needs. Exercise will help the stress of the anxiety. If the dog is not trained to an off leash level then I would use a 20 or 30 ft. cotten web flat long line for his exercise. I would get him into more training classes to help to teach better off leash skills. COME is a MUST in off leash training. IF you have the time he may really like to start agility if only one night a week. A Doggie day care may be an option for him during the day, when you are gone to work or school.

Also I would invest in several KONG chew toys that you stuff with food to help distract him when you leave. See their site for more info. [url]http://www.kongcompany.com[/url]

White sterilized marrow bones you can get from the pet supply help too. You can stuff them with food too are excellent to help distract him.

You are welcome to e-mail me directly if you would like.

[email][email protected][/email]

Good Luck,
    MikeB The Dog Trainer
    So. California

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=MikeB]
    Seperation Anxiety is not a condition a dog get over. It is NOT a disease and taking some meds and it’s gone. [/quote]

Thanks Mike for your excellent advice.

I strongly disagree with the above statement however. I get a lot of referrals from trainers who are working unsuccesfully with dogs who have severe behavior problems, e.g. separation anxiety and aggression. Amazingly enough, the problems dramatically improve and even resolve completely when homeopathy is used together with the training techniques.

I mention this mainly because behavior problems are the most frequent cause for shelter abandonment and euthanasia of pets. Many of these animals [b]can[/b] be helped.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘New Pets and Training’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!