Logo

drjeff1

Elevated Pancreatic Enzymes in my dog Bally

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi, just wanted you to know that my doggie dentist refused dental work on my 13 year old American Eskimo dog, Bally due to her elevated pancreatic enzymes.

Dr. Jeff communicated that initially it doesn’t mean anything, but I should continue with my plans to see an Internist on May 10th to determine just what the elevated enzymes are telling us. Meanwhile, if anyone reads this, who believes in prayer….would you say a prayer for Bally — and me?

Thanks and I’ll let everyone know what the Internist said.
    OK?
    Thanks, Dr. Jeff, for starting this much-needed forum on holistic care…we need you! I don’t know much about holistic care for animals-just people, but I want to learn.
    Dr. Jeff, recommend any books? Cheers.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=”redrosepoetry”] Hi, just wanted you to know that my doggie dentist refused dental work on my 13 year old American Eskimo dog, Bally due to her elevated pancreatic enzymes.

Probably prudent.

Thanks and I’ll let everyone know what the Internist said.

Great!!

Dr. Jeff, recommend any books?

Take a look in my library for those I recommend.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff: I had to leave my Bally in the animal hospital in Intensive Care. She is having a full blown pancreatic attack, with elevated liver enzymes as well as elevated pancreatic enzymes.. She also has a slow heartbeat. Her symptoms were vomiting, but not heavy vomiting…just little piles I found around the house.

The docs have her on pain meds, fluids, antibiotics, enzymes and some other stuff (I hope anti-imflammatories)….

what do you think her chances of surviving are?

What should I be doing? Should I be making a special diet for her? What else should this doctor be doing?
    I am praying.

Did I contribute to this by giving her digestive enzymes? What could have precipitated the attack?

Thank you.
    A very sad pet mommy.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=”redrosepoetry”]Dr. Jeff: I had to leave my Bally in the animal hospital in Intensive Care. She is having a full blown pancreatic attack,

I’m so sorry to hear that.

<what do you think her chances of surviving are?

Depends on the degree of pathology which includes the amount of pancreatic enzymes released into her abdomen and any other underlying causes. Most dogs with acute pancreatitis survive the episode with good supportive care (nothing by mouth and intravenous fluids). The exception is dogs with hemorrhagic pancreatitis who have a less favorable prognosis.

<What should I be doing? I am praying.

Positive thoughts, prayer and a good doctor are all you need at this moment.

<Did I contribute to this by giving her digestive enzymes?

I promise that you did not contribute by giving digestive enzymes (which should actually help by decreasing the load on the pancreas).

<What could have precipitated the attack?

Anything from diet (usually fatty) to stress to nothing at all (that we're aware of) could have brought this on.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Dr. Jeff

Anonymous

Early last week, I had made an appt. for my Bally with an Internist for this Thursday.

In view of what has happened, I feel that I should keep this appt., even though the vets at the Hosptial feel they have things under control.

In fact, I am going to keep this appt., but was wondering what the Internist could offer that the Animal Hospital hasn’t already done….I don’t have a clue about this Internist, other than he was recommended to me by Bally’s dentist, who had initially refused to anesthetize her with elevated liver and pancreatic enzymes.

Would you keep this appt., if it were your dog, or do you think I’m being obsessive, as I have been accused?
    Thank you.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=redrosepoetry]
    Would you keep this appt., if it were your dog, [/quote]

As a scientifically trained veterinarian (my academic career involved molecular biology research of aging and disease) I always like to obtain all of the data (in this case diagnostic information) before making a treatment decision.

You should look at the visit to the internist as an information-gathering tool. S/he should look at all of the diagnostics available so far, get a complete history and thorough physical examination and then perform whatever other (non-invasive) tests may be required e.g. abdominal ultrasound.

You will then get the best idea possible about what is going on physiologically.

Get back to us with this info and the treat *recommendations*.

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff, I took Bally to the Internist today and we were given some bad news. Bally has two tumors. One tumor is on her liver. The other tumor is on her bladder. The internist said her pancreas looked fine.

We are scheduled for an endoscopic biopsy May 25th….this is of the bladder tumor only. I didn’t realize, but according to her medical records, the tumor on her liver was already needle biopsied to determine it was NOT cancer. Thank God. But it appears to have grown.

However, the tumor on her bladder is in an unusual place. The internist stated that if it is cancer, it can easily be removed, as opposed to using chemo therapy – which I would NOT have agreed to.

Do you think I’m wrong in having the view that radiation and chemotherapy are NOT treatments that I would agree to, under any circumstances? The therapies I would use would be what YOU would prescribe, as a personal patient, of course, and lots of Prayer.

That is our latest news. Even though I’m being conservative in agreeing to have the bladder tumor biopsied; I’m praying for a miracle and will not accept that the tumor on her bladder is cancer. Some people may say I’m in denial, but I call it Faith.

I’ll keep you posted. Stay well.

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=redrosepoetry]One tumor is on her liver. The other tumor is on her bladder. The internist said her pancreas looked fine.

Do you think I’m wrong in having the view that radiation and chemotherapy are NOT treatments that I would agree to, under any circumstances?

Some people may say I’m in denial[/quote]

Good morning-

I’m so sorry to hear about Bally but do NOT despair. In my experience a cancer “diagnosis” frequently does not mean that all is lost.

I have treated *many* dogs with dismal prognoses (based on their diagnosis) which have done quite well.

Without knowing your dog’s full history I can only comment in general. In patients of mine under homeopathic care I rarely recommend tumor removal (or biopsy) because this tends to irritate the Vital Force and decrease survival. Only if a tumor is causing clinical problems, e,g, due to it’s size or location, do I recommend removal and only after homeopathic treatment has already been initiated.

In your situation I agree that biopsy is a good next step and that depending on the type of tumor, removal might be the best option.

Regarding chemo and radiation I’m afraid that I don’t have a stock answer (every treatment in my practice is individualized to the patient). I agree in principle that chemo and radiation can do more harm than good. That being said, there are certain patients with specific tumor types, e.g. lymphosarcoma, that can do well with these toxic treatments.

It is always important to realize that treating the tumor alone (whether it’s with surgery, chemo, radiation or even “natural” therapies) does not address the underlying process which caused the tumor in the first place.

One of the homeopathic physicians of the last century who was famous for curing cancer had a saying regarding addressing the tumor/cancer and not the whole patient. He said (and I paraphrase) that You can’t cure an apple tree of growing apples by cutting off its’ limbs.

Good luck with Bally and keep us posted.

Anonymous

Dr. Jeff, are you stating that I should cancel the biopsy and initiate homeopathic treatment beforehand?

I can’t get up to CT right away, but I definitely want to initiate any homeopathic treatment that could help her, without surgery.

Right now the only thing she is allowed to eat is the Purina EN diet…no veggies, as I usually gave her, which she loves carrots and broccoli. I’m in a quandry here.

Do you do telephone consults? I could have her labs faxed to you? Please advise. Thanks so much.
    Melanie

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=redrosepoetry]are you stating that I should cancel the biopsy and initiate homeopathic treatment beforehand?

Do you do telephone consults? I could have her labs faxed to you? [/quote]

Hi Melanie-

I do indeed do phone consults and perhaps an initial chat would be the best way to assess what is right for Bally.

What I meant to get across in my previous message was that although I do advise homeopathic treatment in general, in your specific situation (having never treated with homeopathy) further diagnostics may be the best next step.

You’re correct that I don’t recommend biopsy as it’s been shown to be problematic in human cancer (see [url]http://www.cancerdecisions.com/013005.html[/url][url]).

If you would like an intial phone evaluation then please fax or mail some basic info (patient questionnaire, treatment authorization and recent vet records). My office will then contact you to set up a time to talk.

Anonymous

[[color=red]size=18][/size]

😥 dR. JEFF: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OUR BELOVED ANIMALS….I REMEMBER WHEN YOU HAD JUST OPENED THIS WEBSITE….

MY BALLY, 13.5 YEAR OLD AMERICAN ESKIMO IS MY HEART. SHE HAS BEEN IN CRITICAL CARE ABOUT 4 TIMES NOW IN THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS…EACH TIME THE VETS SAID TO LET HER GO; EACH TIME SHE PULLED THROUGH; SHE IS HAPPY, NOT IN PAIN AND I BELIEVE AS LONG AS SHE IS COMFORTABLE AND HAPPY….WHY “LET HER GO”?

NOW I HAVE TO GIVE THE POOR THING INSULIN SHOTS TWICE DAILY. THEY AREN’T WORKING.

PRAYER WORKED…THAT’S WHAT PULLED HER THROUGH SO FAR.

ANY IDEAS? i’LL BE WILLING TO DO A PHONE CONSULT…BUT WE MUST ACT FAST…HER BLOOD SUGAR IS STAYING IN THE 500S…..ABOUT A MONTH NOW…..

THANK YOU…THANK YOU… . PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY AT THE FOLLOWING: [email][email protected][/email] AND I’LL GIVE YOU MY PHONE NUMBER.
    THANKS. MELANIE[[/color]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Medical Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!