Logo

drjeff1

eating dirt

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My dogs eat grass, which I’ve come to believe is normal and healthy. But these Samoyeds also eat dirt, especially one of them – the only one, of 3 siblings and 1 parent, that hasn’t experienced bloating and/or stomach torsion. Is it o.k. that she eats dirt? Thanks…

p.s. Is it true that when they throw up the grass, etc., that it strains the heart and could lead to a premature death?

Dr. Jeff Feinman
    Keymaster

[quote=stadoc] Is it o.k. that she eats dirt? Thanks…

p.s. Is it true that when they throw up the grass, etc., that it strains the heart and could lead to a premature death?[/quote]

Well… I guess it’s OK as long as the area has not been treated with any chemicals. That being said, it’s really not “normal” for a dog to eat dirt (or stool, or rocks, or [i]crave[/i] grass, etc.). All of these symptoms are clues that their bodies are not in balance internally.

It may be a simple matter like giving the wrong food. If the diet is not fresh and meat-based, e.g. any diet that uses a lot of dry food can cause this symptom, then a diet upgrade is in order and may correct the problem. What are you currently feeding?

Assuming that the diet is a good one, dirt (or any other non-food item) eating is a warning sign that all is not right internally (see my “common vs. normal” handout for more info) [url]https://www.homevet.com/newclient/common.html[/url]

Once you have worked on the diet, if the symptom persists then I would consider consulting a veterinary homeopath for further help. S/he will work to rebalance the internal disequilibrium which is resulting in this (and I suspect other) symptom.

Good luck.

BTW-Vomiting grass is no different than other kind of vomiting and is not a risk factor for premature death.

Anonymous

stadoc,

What exactly do you feed your dogs? Brand/formula, Dry/canned, Treats?

To me it sounds like a diet related problem or digestive problem where the dogs have something missing causing them to eat plant life and mineral based material like dirt.

More info when you write again.

MikeB

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Diet and Nutrition Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You can now find Dr. Jeff at Holistic Actions!